Preamp Kit Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, first posting on this cool site.

Basically, I bought a Vellman Preamp Kit and I have no idea how to power it? It says between 10 and 30 volt DC, but on the PCB is says 12. Could I just plug in a DC adapter with 12 volts and connect tip and sleeve respectively?
I'm new to electronics, so go easy on me :). Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
OK, its a simple opamp based preamp with no on board power supply regulation. You could actually use a 9 volt battery to test this. Whatever you connect make sure that the positive voltage is going to pin 8 on that opamp and the "0 volts" to pin 4. And any voltage up to the working voltage of the caps or a maximum of 36 volts (the opamp max voltage) is OK

The PCB is clear as day as to which is + and which is -.

Attachments

• K1803.JPG
    K1803.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 174
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It sounds like a ground connection is missing to the little preset control. I would expect one of the end legs of the control to go to the GND pin. Those things are somewhat fragile and actually have a very limited number of cycles. You could wire a normal full size pot in its place if you wanted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.