DIY Focal speaker plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone here in DIY audio. I'm determined to build my own high quality audiophile speakers. I have all the Focal drivers needed for this project; two 33kx(13" sandwich cone Kevlar), four 21v2(8" polyglass), 165k2p(6.5" sandwich cone Kevlar mids and 1" titanium inverted dome tweeter kit); to power them is a Lexicon 412 (basically a Bryston 8B) and a Yorkville AP4040. These two amps will have a dbx driverack hooked up to them so I can set crossover points, filters, limiters, equalize, etc... My mission is to create a 3-way design much like Focal but at a DIY price tag. The problem; the more I learn = the less I know. I'm very handy in the workshop and have pretty much all the tools I need. Reason I am hear asking for insight; Focal designs are next to impossible to find. Does anybody know of any plans that I can refer to; or have enough experience to suggest a better approach in achieving my goal to build the perfect enclosure design for these Focal drivers? Any knowledge you may provide will be greatly appreciated; for I have already built 4 different designs based on recommended volume size for the drivers and found that my designs needed much improvement. Could it have anything to do with the drivers are meant for car audio and the recommended volume size are reflected and these measurements do not apply to in home/hall environments?

That is all the drivers combined. So I was thinking of either doing a single 13 two 8 a 6.5 and a tweeter per side and yes that is a 4-way but I was also thinking of doing two 13's in a separate sub box and 2 towers of two 8's a 6.5 and tweeter set up as 3-way so they can be easier to transport the odd time I do a party at a friends house or small hall but 95% of the time they will be set up in the man cave for a killer sound system. Problem is the more I research on the best box design the more I get the feeling I should out source the build. I'm very handy and capable of building the box but it's the research and parameters that work best with the drivers I own that got me confused...if I can get any info on how to calculate the numbers on the spec sheet to conclude the proper box design or if someone knows which design and have plans that I can follow then I will be more than capable to build it.... This is where I'm stumped and seeing that these are great speakers to begin with I sure don't want to cripple the sound with a poor box design... Thank you for any help you may provide

Hi,

No chance of finding any proper speaker plans or information
regarding using car drivers in any real domestic speakers.

You need advanced design skills to use those drivers
for domestic speakers and such design is not trivial.

They are a lot easier to use as intended in a car.

rgds, sreten.

Yes Sreten, I agree with you that it would be much better to use the proper driver that it's designed for the job. But I have no desire any more to put these in my car. I know that Focal drivers are way better than any other reasonably priced domestic driver so car audio or not these will still sound fantastic. You are also right about this needing advanced engineering to get its proper potential. I'm still determined to get these Focal driver in an enclosure with more than satisfying sounds. If I had built a replica of a Focal JMLab desigh would this be a better approach? these design specs are not easy to find

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.