newbie xover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome! Your question is a bit vague. I find that two things: L-pads and Zobel networks are deemed necessary in DIY designs, and yet they really are not. I even repeatedly see people putting L-pads on woofers. Your question depends entirely on the drivers in question. You can very easily make a loudspeaker design without using impedance EQ methods. What woofer and tweeter are you concerned about?

lilun,

if the XO isn't properly tuned or way off, than it sounds at least to say
not pleasing, assuming drivers are good quality and overlapping.

Naturally XO's can always be fixed but before doing that one should
be able to find what was wrong with it from the beginning.

If you're interested in becoming more proficient in that respect,
do whatever is in your power to get a hand on devices professionals
use while sorting out issues you are reffering to.

but how much variation in db would you get if the impedance was not flattened?

if you cannot obtain a flat sound balance by EQing the signal, why is that?

You need to look at the spec sheets for your speakers. I'm still new at this so don't quote me, but from what I've read, the driver above the driver with impedance spikes is the one affected. IE: In a 3 way setup, the woofer impedance spikes affect the midrange. And midrange impedance spikes affect the crossover on the tweeter.

So if it's a 2 way speaker, you need to look at the spec sheet for your woofer, and it will show where the impedance spikes are, and how much the impedance changes.

but how much variation in db would you get if the
impedance was not flattened? if you cannot obtain
a flat sound balance by EQing the signal, why is that?

You can get almost perfect sound without bothering with
impedance rise. I really can't grasp why are people always
asking so many questions and not wanting to give it a shot
by doing it the right way.

"Son, be a good boy and wash your hands before dinner!
But mom, come on, I just wanna simulate it first." :)

so some people think zobels and impedance flattening is necessary and others dont? why cant we all just agree. It seems like there is no consensus at all around here. People just say what they like and do what they like. This is why the industry is in a mess right now. Consumers are faced with the challenge of knowing what speaker is a good choice to buy because of so many conflicting reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.