Home audio speaker cabinet help... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2013, 07:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Home audio speaker cabinet help...

Hello, I hope I am posting this is the right section. I was going through my closet of "car" audio stuff and forgot that I grabbed some tang band drivers and tweeters for my front stage. I have the following speakers available.

1- Could I make a decent set of shelf or towers for a small home stereo?

2- If so what type of build would be best? I know nothing about home audio but would like to put these to good use if possible.

3-If it would be worth my time could someone do me a design? I can build but I'm not sure about designing. I can pay for the design.

*Parts and quantity Available*

(2) 4" Tang Band Bamboo Midrange woofers

Tang Band W4-1320SIF 4" Bamboo Full Range Speaker 264-914

(2) 3" Tang Band Bamboo drivers

Tang Band W3-1364SA 3" Bamboo Cone Driver 264-844

(2) Vifa Silf dome tweeters

Vifa NE25VTS-04 1" Silk Dome Tweeter 264-1034

(2) Seas Neo Tweeters (I believe these are the right one). ***Currently in my car***

The Madisound Speaker Store

(32) 5 1/4" paper cone neos that I got from PE a couple years back

Parts Express

Thanks for any help!
Old 8th November 2013, 07:37 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Both of the TB are FRs, the 4" well respected. Start by putting them in suitable boxes.

dave
Old 8th November 2013, 07:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

So just use the 4" in a sealed or ported box? What about the tweeters?

Also, I'm not sure how well it would do, but I have various different subwoofers that I can add for low end if needed. I was thinking of using my 12" audiomobile evo-r for the lows if needed say below 70 or 80hz.

Last edited by omegabunny; 8th November 2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 8th November 2013, 07:53 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegabunny View Post
So just use the 4" is a sealed or ported box?
Yes, time to dig out some modeling software and figure the details... or go looking to see what other people did.

Quote:
What about the tweeters? Also, I'm not sure how well it would do, but I have various different subwoofers that I can add for low end if needed. I was thinking of using my 12" audiomobile evo-r for the lows if needed say below 70 or 80hz.
Adding a tweeter is as likley to degrade performance. Adding helper woofer(s) -- as in a FAST -- can produce very good results.

dave
Old 8th November 2013, 07:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you. I read a review on zillaaudio and the guy put his in a .22 ft^3 but but said it needed a tweeter for "more realistic treble".

TangBand W4-1320 4" Bamboo full range driver

I am used to car audio but have never messed with home audio at all. Not even a boxed surround sound system so I am way out of my element here.
Old 8th November 2013, 08:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Omegabunny,

There are many online box building apps that will get you box dimensions. Just have to search. These will get you part of the way, maybe 80-90% there. If you want to build a two-way speaker, you'll need a crossover (XO). The crossover will need listening to and tweeking, then more tweeking. It's easier with an active XO and multi-amps.

You have to find what box is best suited for your driver choice. Will you use ported, closed box or a combo of both like an aperiodic, like when using a vario-vent?aperiodic enclosure - Bing Images

You might even try a Voigt pipe or some kind of horn. They sound suprisingly good, although there isn't much in the way of calculations on Voigt pipes. My searches haven't turned up much, but there are some out there.

With 3" to 5-1/4" drivers, don't expect them to go super low. If you want the bottom, you'll need a very good sub.

Point is you need to find out what box is best. Search around for box type based on Qts spec. It's based on "below or above a certain Qts value.
QTS parameters How to Pick the Right speaker for your Speaker Cabinets

Look for books by David B Weems, Vance Dickason and the books written for Radio Shack. Lot of good info and they get to the point.

Hope this helps,

Vince

Last edited by vdi_nenna; 8th November 2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 8th November 2013, 08:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am used to car audio but have never messed with home audio at all.
Just remember that in home audio, you want the drivers to disappear in the sound.
You should shoot for no emphasis or exaggeration in any frequency range.

Dave, is right. It's best to have a full-range driver handle the highs to 20khz.
Use larger drivers to handle below 100Hz. Be sure these FR drivers can really get to 100Hz and below. You want over-lap in frequencies. Let the XO sort them out.
Old 11th November 2013, 02:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Alrigth, I used the chart found here (QTS parameters How to Pick the Right speaker for your Speaker Cabinets) and tried to maintain the same ratios and came up with the following...

QTS=.36

Tuning = (1.10 x Fs): 1.10 x 75hz = 88.5hz
Enclosure size= (1.65 x Vas): 1.65 x .18ft^3 = 0.297 ft^3

Does that seem right

#confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi_nenna View Post
Omegabunny,

There are many online box building apps that will get you box dimensions. Just have to search. These will get you part of the way, maybe 80-90% there. If you want to build a two-way speaker, you'll need a crossover (XO). The crossover will need listening to and tweeking, then more tweeking. It's easier with an active XO and multi-amps.

You have to find what box is best suited for your driver choice. Will you use ported, closed box or a combo of both like an aperiodic, like when using a vario-vent?aperiodic enclosure - Bing Images

You might even try a Voigt pipe or some kind of horn. They sound suprisingly good, although there isn't much in the way of calculations on Voigt pipes. My searches haven't turned up much, but there are some out there.

With 3" to 5-1/4" drivers, don't expect them to go super low. If you want the bottom, you'll need a very good sub.

Point is you need to find out what box is best. Search around for box type based on Qts spec. It's based on "below or above a certain Qts value.
QTS parameters How to Pick the Right speaker for your Speaker Cabinets

Look for books by David B Weems, Vance Dickason and the books written for Radio Shack. Lot of good info and they get to the point.

Hope this helps,

Vince
Old 11th November 2013, 03:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The site I sent you to might have been more confusing than helpful.

Best to just try an online calculator.

Speaker Box Enclosure Designer / Calculator

mh-audio.nl - Calculations

Example calculations below based on Tang Band W4-1320SIF 4" Bamboo Full Range Speaker.

Ported Box
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Vas = 0.18 ft3
fs = 75 Hz
Qts = 0.36
D = 90 mm (Approximate, cone diameter not specified. Must physically measure diameter of cone.)

Dimensions for Ported box

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key:

Vb: Speaker Box Internal Volume
f3: 3dB Cutoff Frequency
fb: Enclosure Resonant Frequency
Dv: Port Diameter
Lv: Port Length

Vb = 0.12 ft3 = 3.5 lts = L x W x H (1728 in^3 is a linear foot)
f3 = 88.48 Hz
fb = 84.26 Hz
Dv = 1 in = 2.5 cm
Lv = 1.6 in = 3.9 cm

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sealed Box

Vas = 0.18 ft3
fs = 75 Hz
Qts = 0.36
Qtc = 0.707

Key:
Vb: Speaker Box Internal Volume
f3: 3dB Cutoff Frequency
fb: Enclosure Resonant Frequency

Sealed Box Dimensions:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vb = 0.06 ft3 = 1.78 lts
= L x W x H
f3 = 147.31 Hz
fb = 147.29 Hz

Try to find a few online calculators and run your drivers specs through them.
You have to all take into consideration that the manufaturer's specs are not always a good representation of what your driver will actually measure.
To be "exact", youll need to measure each woofer driver. Testing drivers can be daunting to a beginner. Best to read some speaker design book or use a woofer tester like Parts-express WT3. I think its name changed recently, but you can see it on PE's site. I have one and it is easy to used. You'll need a computer or laptop to see results. It connects to a PC USB port to display test results.
Old 11th November 2013, 03:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

THank you.

Another question, as if I'm not confused enough already lol...

Would a folded horn be good for these speakers? Assuming that it is designed and built properly. I was looking online and saw this...

The Madisound Speaker Store

Would my Bamboos work well in an application like this?

Note* I am probably getting way ahead of myself lol.

Hide this!Advertise here!