Home audio speaker cabinet help...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I hope I am posting this is the right section. I was going through my closet of "car" audio stuff and forgot that I grabbed some tang band drivers and tweeters for my front stage. I have the following speakers available.

1- Could I make a decent set of shelf or towers for a small home stereo?

2- If so what type of build would be best? I know nothing about home audio but would like to put these to good use if possible.

3-If it would be worth my time could someone do me a design? I can build but I'm not sure about designing. I can pay for the design.

*Parts and quantity Available*

(2) 4" Tang Band Bamboo Midrange woofers

Tang Band W4-1320SIF 4" Bamboo Full Range Speaker 264-914

(2) 3" Tang Band Bamboo drivers

Tang Band W3-1364SA 3" Bamboo Cone Driver 264-844

(2) Vifa Silf dome tweeters

Vifa NE25VTS-04 1" Silk Dome Tweeter 264-1034

(2) Seas Neo Tweeters (I believe these are the right one). ***Currently in my car***

The Madisound Speaker Store

(32) 5 1/4" paper cone neos that I got from PE a couple years back :p

Parts Express

Thanks for any help!

So just use the 4" in a sealed or ported box? What about the tweeters?

Also, I'm not sure how well it would do, but I have various different subwoofers that I can add for low end if needed. I was thinking of using my 12" audiomobile evo-r for the lows if needed say below 70 or 80hz.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So just use the 4" is a sealed or ported box?

Yes, time to dig out some modeling software and figure the details... or go looking to see what other people did.

What about the tweeters? Also, I'm not sure how well it would do, but I have various different subwoofers that I can add for low end if needed. I was thinking of using my 12" audiomobile evo-r for the lows if needed say below 70 or 80hz.

Adding a tweeter is as likley to degrade performance. Adding helper woofer(s) -- as in a FAST -- can produce very good results.

dave

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Omegabunny,

There are many online box building apps that will get you box dimensions. Just have to search. These will get you part of the way, maybe 80-90% there. If you want to build a two-way speaker, you'll need a crossover (XO). The crossover will need listening to and tweeking, then more tweeking. It's easier with an active XO and multi-amps.

You have to find what box is best suited for your driver choice. Will you use ported, closed box or a combo of both like an aperiodic, like when using a vario-vent?aperiodic enclosure - Bing Images

You might even try a Voigt pipe or some kind of horn. They sound suprisingly good, although there isn't much in the way of calculations on Voigt pipes. My searches haven't turned up much, but there are some out there.

With 3" to 5-1/4" drivers, don't expect them to go super low. If you want the bottom, you'll need a very good sub.

Point is you need to find out what box is best. Search around for box type based on Qts spec. It's based on "below or above a certain Qts value.
QTS parameters How to Pick the Right speaker for your Speaker Cabinets

Look for books by David B Weems, Vance Dickason and the books written for Radio Shack. Lot of good info and they get to the point.

Hope this helps,

Vince

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I am used to car audio but have never messed with home audio at all.

Just remember that in home audio, you want the drivers to disappear in the sound.
You should shoot for no emphasis or exaggeration in any frequency range.

Dave, is right. It's best to have a full-range driver handle the highs to 20khz.
Use larger drivers to handle below 100Hz. Be sure these FR drivers can really get to 100Hz and below. You want over-lap in frequencies. Let the XO sort them out.

Alrigth, I used the chart found here (QTS parameters How to Pick the Right speaker for your Speaker Cabinets) and tried to maintain the same ratios and came up with the following...

QTS=.36

Tuning = (1.10 x Fs): 1.10 x 75hz = 88.5hz
Enclosure size= (1.65 x Vas): 1.65 x .18ft^3 = 0.297 ft^3

Does that seem right :(

#confused

Omegabunny,

There are many online box building apps that will get you box dimensions. Just have to search. These will get you part of the way, maybe 80-90% there. If you want to build a two-way speaker, you'll need a crossover (XO). The crossover will need listening to and tweeking, then more tweeking. It's easier with an active XO and multi-amps.

You have to find what box is best suited for your driver choice. Will you use ported, closed box or a combo of both like an aperiodic, like when using a vario-vent?aperiodic enclosure - Bing Images

You might even try a Voigt pipe or some kind of horn. They sound suprisingly good, although there isn't much in the way of calculations on Voigt pipes. My searches haven't turned up much, but there are some out there.

With 3" to 5-1/4" drivers, don't expect them to go super low. If you want the bottom, you'll need a very good sub.

Point is you need to find out what box is best. Search around for box type based on Qts spec. It's based on "below or above a certain Qts value.
QTS parameters How to Pick the Right speaker for your Speaker Cabinets

Look for books by David B Weems, Vance Dickason and the books written for Radio Shack. Lot of good info and they get to the point.

Hope this helps,

Vince

Joined 2000
Paid Member
The site I sent you to might have been more confusing than helpful.

Best to just try an online calculator.

Speaker Box Enclosure Designer / Calculator

mh-audio.nl - Calculations

Example calculations below based on Tang Band W4-1320SIF 4" Bamboo Full Range Speaker.

Ported Box
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Vas = 0.18 ft3
fs = 75 Hz
Qts = 0.36
D = 90 mm (Approximate, cone diameter not specified. Must physically measure diameter of cone.)

Dimensions for Ported box

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key:

Vb: Speaker Box Internal Volume
f3: 3dB Cutoff Frequency
fb: Enclosure Resonant Frequency
Dv: Port Diameter
Lv: Port Length

Vb = 0.12 ft3 = 3.5 lts = L x W x H (1728 in^3 is a linear foot)
f3 = 88.48 Hz
fb = 84.26 Hz
Dv = 1 in = 2.5 cm
Lv = 1.6 in = 3.9 cm

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sealed Box

Vas = 0.18 ft3
fs = 75 Hz
Qts = 0.36
Qtc = 0.707

Key:
Vb: Speaker Box Internal Volume
f3: 3dB Cutoff Frequency
fb: Enclosure Resonant Frequency

Sealed Box Dimensions:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vb = 0.06 ft3 = 1.78 lts
= L x W x H
f3 = 147.31 Hz
fb = 147.29 Hz

Try to find a few online calculators and run your drivers specs through them.
You have to all take into consideration that the manufaturer's specs are not always a good representation of what your driver will actually measure.
To be "exact", youll need to measure each woofer driver. Testing drivers can be daunting to a beginner. Best to read some speaker design book or use a woofer tester like Parts-express WT3. I think its name changed recently, but you can see it on PE's site. I have one and it is easy to used. You'll need a computer or laptop to see results. It connects to a PC USB port to display test results.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
The Qtc value above in the ported system is the Total Cabinet Q.
This is somehwat of a choice parameter. It depends on how you'd like your box to perform. .707 value gives a low frequency response that is flat and gives good low extension. If you raise that number, the box gives more of a low frequency boost.
But you have to be careful, because you can get a boomy box that can muddy things up. The frequency graph would look like it has a bump in reponse in the lower frequnces. Same thing in the other direction. Too low a value and the box can sound thin with not much bass response. Stick with .707, and experiment later. See what .707 sounds like first. Read up on Qtc.

Tuning a box is a lot like tuning a turntable. Shift one setting and it affects another.
It takes time and patience to get it right. You have to understand all the relationships and also know what performance you want out of a box.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
[
Would a folded horn be good for these speakers? Assuming that it is designed and built properly. I was looking online and saw this...

The Madisound Speaker Store

Yes, they probably would work. Dave (Planet10) would be the guy to ask...for more that just a few reason. ;) Dave...?

From Description
We would like extend a big thank you to David Dlugos of Planet_10 Hi-Fi for his time and effort in this project. The first-rate enclosure design and cabinet drawings make this a very special kit offering for the full range enthusiast. Please visit the Planet_10 Hi-Fi website to explore another world of drivers and cabinet plans.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I love the look of the frugel horn. Do you know how well the Tang Band 4" bamboos would do in one of your MK3 flat pack kits?

I don't know that anyone has specifically tried the 4" Bamboo TB in the FH3 yet, but given the versatility the enclousre has shown in terms of driver support, i would be surprised if it didn't work well.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.