paint heatsinks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
For bodies which are not too hot the issue is how well they absorb/emit infra-red.

I'm not saying there cannot be infra red in the dark
but surely it has to have a source, a light spectrum containing some amount of infra red

and if there is no light inside a box, where would the infra red come from :confused:

but then, like someone else indicated, how little light is really needed for infra red to occur

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm getting confused here too, but here's what I remember from my physics...

There's a difference between absorption/reflection of incident light and intrinsic emission of light. Incident light comes from lightbulbs, the sun, etc. Intrinsic emission comes from an object's temperature.

Most of what we see is due to absorption and reflection of incident light on that object- some of the light is absorbed, some of it reflected. We see the reflected light. That's why things look different indoors under fluorescent/incandescent light than outside in sunlight, especially for photographers.

The emission of light by an object is due to its temperature (governed by Plank black body radiation/statistical mechanics). It's important to note that temperature dictates color, not the other way around. Hot metal glows red, painted red metal is not hot. A CFL lightbulb's color is stated as a temperature (ie 2700K = Kelvin).

Hope I got that right and I'm not restating anything. it's been awhile since I thought about this stuff. I can think up some examples if it helps.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Temperature is not the only source of emission. Transitions in outer electrons emit light too, some of which is visible. Some may be infra-red too; I'm sure a chemist can help us. A CFL bulb is not actually at 2700K - that is merely to tell us what colour it roughly mimics for the human eye. Be careful that you don't add to the confusion in this thread.

Not my intent to cause confusion obviously, sorry for that. Hopefully the rest was accurate. So I'll phrase this as a question since I'm not sure - are the electron transitions you're taking about fluorescence and phosphoresce?

Maybe you wrote it as a joke ;) , but there is such a thing as infra-red paint, or, to be more correct, considering what we are talking about here, a good infra red emitting paint, and that would be a matte black one.

By definition the best infra red (heat) emitter is called a "black body", how's that?
Black body - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notably:
A black body in thermal equilibrium has two notable properties:[1]

It is an ideal emitter: it emits as much or more energy at every frequency than any other body at the same temperature.
It is a diffuse emitter: the energy is radiated isotropically, independent of direction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.