GONE in 60 SECONDS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2013, 06:46 PM   #1
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default GONE in 60 SECONDS

AKA how to cut precision holes in 60 seconds

After cutting 1,000 holes building test boxes, this I believe is the fastest and most accurate.

You will need a drill press, doesn't have to be heavy duty, new, etc. the one in pic is older than me

So the steps, use compass to mark and center the hole. Plunge wing cutter into the scrape wood and stop motor.
Slide out wing to line and clamp down. Start it back up and check - however it should be right on the money. If you do need to move the wing pinch the horizontal bar and move it carefully, remember that this is double.

The wing cutters work up to a 8" woofer. They come in a lot of sizes, General 55 is very popular. There's one that is solid top/bottom, that works better than the rest, but an extra step is needed.

*Nice to have sanding drum arbor for cleaning up cut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 413.jpg (287.4 KB, 267 views)

Last edited by ODougbo; 5th October 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 5th October 2013, 06:54 PM   #2
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

doug - what RPM do you set the pulleys for with the wing cutter? I've only ever tried a smaller version for hand drill and found it was much harder to maintain accurate control of speed in middle of range

Newer drills have lots of torque, and the variable clutch stop on cordless are great for screw setting, but I can't remember the last time I saw a hand held drill with adjustable speed stop like on a very old cheap Skil.

Might I add that you'll want to secure the work piece and sacrificial scrap to drill press table with at least 2 clamps - this is not shown in your photo.

Last edited by chrisb; 5th October 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 5th October 2013, 07:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Slow - that's all I can tell you, its a very basic table top drill press, no bells or whistles (my dad bought it before I came along).

No, No, don't use a hand drill, that would very dangerous.

If I had to pick three tools for a shop, I would want a drill press. It one of the things you can find used easily, I bet ebay has a 100.
Old 5th October 2013, 07:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Bonus!

With a general cutter and a sanding kit, you can make templates for those ornery speakers that have bow, or rounded corners, e.g. Fostex

Template work: cut a hole close to the size you need, then place driver upside down over hole mark carefully.

Used sanding drum kit below and sand to line. Takes about 15 minutes, but works every time.

Amazon.com: 26 Piece Sanding Drum Kits: Home Improvement

Last edited by ODougbo; 5th October 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12th October 2013, 10:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Bonus II

Motor Capacitor went bad years ago, but not all bad, easy to flip start - either direction
Here is the cutter again - although flipped and motor started backwards, to make disks vs. holes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1976.JPG (209.1 KB, 191 views)
Old 15th October 2013, 07:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I've never tried a cutter like that before. Would it work equally well on plywood or hardwood?
Old 15th October 2013, 07:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes! But need a drill press (again).

I found on the BB ply its not a bad idea to touch the cutter head to a grinder for a quick sharpening - as needed. Of course the larger the hole, the longer it takes.
E.g. 3" or less, just a few seconds, when you max it out to 7" it takes a lot longer.

Clamping is always a good idea.

Used one today matter of fact - does a beautiful job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03481.JPG (245.7 KB, 140 views)
Old 15th October 2013, 08:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODougbo View Post
Yes! But need a drill press (again).

I found on the BB ply its not a bad idea to touch the cutter head to a grinder for a quick sharpening - as needed. Of course the larger the hole, the longer it takes.
E.g. 3" or less, just a few seconds, when you max it out to 7" it takes a lot longer.

Clamping is always a good idea.

Used one today matter of fact - does a beautiful job.
Holly crap! that is a nice hole...lol I always use a jigsaw to make holes and I never get it as nice as your way....Very nice! You should make some MDF speaker cabinets for diy speakers and sell them here
Old 15th October 2013, 08:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODougbo View Post
Bonus II

Motor Capacitor went bad years ago, but not all bad, easy to flip start - either direction
Here is the cutter again - although flipped and motor started backwards, to make disks vs. holes.
made me laugh

Nice holes, very clean
Old 16th October 2013, 01:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

@ Lanchile - no router? Bet you could find a deal on one.

Hard to get 90 degree cut with a jig saw, I guess you could cut small and use sanding drum kit to clean it up.
The mid/woofer for box in post 7 only have about 1/8" lip, so no room for error.

Tip of the day: can always replace the 1/4 drill bit with 1/4" steel rod; which works a little better than the drill bit. A pilot hole is needed, but the steel rod won't round out the center (which cause other problems).

Hide this!Advertise here!