What is the best way to MEASURE speaker displacement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the best way to MEASURE speaker displacement, i,e volume occupied by speaker inside a box, including cone, magnet, structure etc? I've found a number of 'caculators' and ways to estimate this, but what amount empirical measurements?

- Saran wrap and amount of water displacement?

- How about using a VAS box with the magnet inside, instead of out as would normally be done for the VAS measurement?

- Something else?

Odd shape is difficult to measure.

I don't recommend trying to Saran wrap your driver and then playing Archimedes.

Most people are satisfied calculating the cone volume using the formula for a truncated cone, and adding in the magnet volume, which is more or less a cylinder for most woofers.

You don't need to be all that exact. Almost everything about a driver's alignment is subject to variation by temperature (voice coil and ambient) as well as cone excursion so getting the box volume calculated to within +/- 10% is more than good enough (assuming that is why you want to know the driver volume).

If your question pertains specifically to measuring the driver to determine Vas from a resonance change when mounted in a box of known volume, perhaps you should consider the added mass method instead. There is no need to know the driver volume when doing it that way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.