Cutting sheet metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some input on a practical problem I’ve encounter. I’m trying to cut 1.6mm sheet metal but are getting in to trouble with my tools and lack of knowledge.

First I tried to use my jigsaw set up with a strait ruler. Problem here is the blade just wanders off without any control until it brakes.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thinking I must be the smartest guy on the block I mounted my angle grinder to a plate like a table saw. Same problem. Even with the most expensive cutting disc from my hardware store the disk is flexing so much it’s impossible to get straight cuts. What I learned is that more expensive cuttings disks will flex more before breaking.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I don’t know the specification for the metal used in the sheet other than it's very heavy, but actually rather soft to drill.

Hi,
I assume you are cutting sheet steel? From my experience when cutting hard materials with a jigsaw, guides don't work. Best to go freehand on a slow speed with no pendulum. Don't forget the goggles!
With a thin steel cutting disc, same, go freehand.

Its thin enough to use snips, Maybe do a rough cut and then go back along your line and clean it up.

Thanks!

Yes it's steel plate, sorry I wasn't more clear.

I was afraid you would suggest freehand :) I've done that in the past. At one time I had a cutting disk that would not grind into my wood guide. But with discs I got now I don't get good result using wood rulers.

I'm afraid my "free"hand is not very trustworthy :) That's why I'm looking in to different setups.

You can take it to a sheet metal shop that does air conditioning fabrication of ducts and so forth and they can shear cut it for you.
If cutting it yourself consider the proper blade and use cutting fluid to prolong blade life.
Or go to Harbor Freight and get the cheap right angle grinder with a thin 4" cut off wheel that will butter right thru it.

Regards
David

Or go to Harbor Freight and get the cheap right angle grinder with a thin 4" cut off wheel that will butter right thru it.

hmmm... smaller blade might flex less. I used a 125mm (5") disc.

Experience have so far with the angel grinder is that multiple passes work better than one single cut. Maybe I could try to hing the angle grinder under the table. And then use a spring to apply pressure on the angle grinder.

One question that comes to mind is how to keep the powdered metal and small chips away from the bearings of the circular saw. If you do a lot of metal cutting with it there may be a case for mounting the "rotary hacksaw" blade in a cheap saw and accept the fact that you'll discard the saw periodically (possibly while the blade is still quite serviceable.)

Dale

I tend to cheat. I go to our local industrial estate and in the engineering departments the guys there will cut my sheet metal on the guillotine for the price of a beer or two.
Saves all the hassle and wasted time ... and sticking plasters on my finger ends!

He he :p. Just tried that this week. One sheet of 2mm aluminum 1x2m 95$ + 25% tax. Work cost cutting this to my specifications (simple strait cuts) estimated to $400 + 25% tax.

Next time I buy the bear first, then I ask :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.