Slightly Damp....... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2013, 05:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Slightly Damp.......

Hopefully I can squeeze this question in to this forum somehow...

I'm just about done with construction on the listening / media room in the basement area. The only thing I'm waiting for is to have the carpet installed and that'll be it.....in goes the equipment!
the only thing is......lately we've had some really humid weather (it's backed down a bit) and the concrete is slightly damp to the touch. I know getting it totally dry before putting the carpet down is a must. The walls are not damp (drywall). I know a dehumidifier is the best option to dry it out initially (and it will be used after the carpet is in too). However I see these dehu/ac units. Anyone have experience with these units? are they worth it?
Thanks!
Old 10th July 2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Your concrete floor is damp? This is not good. Where do you live?
Old 27th July 2013, 03:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default dampness

Cal,
yep the floor was damp (sorry 'bout gettin back late) it was the humidity for the most part i'm gambling. and the reason I say gambling is because I went and grabbed a dehumidifier (a big'un) and ran it constantly for about 4 days before the rug guys got there. It was bone dry and dusty to boot. I know (read about finally) that concrete does have a "wicking" type property to it and I hope and don't think this will be too much a problem in the future.

Rhode Island by the way....

Thanks!
Old 4th August 2013, 04:40 AM   #4
sturmj is offline sturmj  United States
diyAudio Member

I live in MN and this is normal in the spring. Is this a new construction? or a existing home? If it is a existing structure just consider it normal for this home. A dehumidifier will definitely help, but there is not much else you can do (w/o tearing up the concrete floor)
yes there is wicking indicating a low-ish water table and a sump pump system may help. That is a major job, if there is not one in place already. Here in MN the earth freezes pretty deep and our basements are typically 1 story deep, and the cool-cold soil under the concrete slab can cause condensation on the floors (this can only be helped with a dehumidifier, lowers the dew point in the air preventing the condensation) but I don't think it gets that cold in RI, but it prob does if this is not a true basement by MN standards (i.e. 1 story under ground). Probably best to check with neighbors to see if they notice the same problems

Hide this!Advertise here!