diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Construction Tips (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/)
-   -   How to get a high gloss black finish (near piano black) (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/238712-how-get-high-gloss-black-finish-near-piano-black.html)

WagBoss 4th July 2013 06:08 PM

How to get a high gloss black finish (near piano black)

I know all about prepping the area such as sanding, filling the surface, etc.

I just need to figure out what paints to use. I went to homedepot and the ONLY thing they said that would give a hi-gloss black finish would be this BEHR | PREMIUM PLUS Interior/Exterior High-Gloss Enamel Paint - Ultra Pure White, 946mL | Home Depot Canada ignore that it's white, they had one that was black I just didn't see it online.
Has anyone used this, or what do you think of this? Any ideas where in Canada would be the best place to go for piano black paint?

For the first coat, would just a standard oil based grey primer work?

I have a compressor, don't have a paint gun, but that is an option for application. Is there any reason not to spray on the black paint?

Conrad Hoffman 4th July 2013 06:43 PM

There have been various really good threads on this. Search, starting with-
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/const...finishing.html

WagBoss 4th July 2013 07:07 PM

please read my post, I am specifically looking for types of paint available in Canada. I have read that post, the links are only for UK, and all the pictures aren't even being hosted any more.

richie00boy 4th July 2013 07:12 PM

Household enamel paints are generally a bit soft and take weeks to dry properly for flatting and polishing. Without respirator breathing gear you would be limited to automotive acrylic lacquer paints, but I believe they have been outlawed in Canada.

6speed 4th July 2013 07:19 PM

Are you painting wood or metal? High gloss on either for me has involved a compatible primer (to seal the wood, or on metal an etching metal to prep the surface), paint (gloss or semi-gloss) followed by a high gloss clear coat compatible with the paint.

WagBoss 4th July 2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richie00boy (Post 3549362)
Household enamel paints are generally a bit soft and take weeks to dry properly for flatting and polishing. Without respirator breathing gear you would be limited to automotive acrylic lacquer paints, but I believe they have been outlawed in Canada.

o.O any other options? what about lacquer like this Rust-Oleum Specialty | Lacquer - Gloss Black | Home Depot Canada

WagBoss 4th July 2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6speed (Post 3549372)
Are you painting wood or metal? High gloss on either for me has involved a compatible primer (to seal the wood, or on metal an etching metal to prep the surface), paint (gloss or semi-gloss) followed by a high gloss clear coat compatible with the paint.

MDF.

Yeah I figured I'd just go grey oil based primer, then a high-gloss black paint, and then a high gloss clear coat with tons of sanding in between each coat to keep it perfectly smooth. Just need to find a black paint that works well and then pick out a primer and clear coat that are compatible with it.

I know lacquer works and is the traditional way to get piano black, but it takes many many coats and a long time so was wondering if there are better options.

WagBoss 4th July 2013 09:29 PM

for sealing the mdf, I have read a lot that shellac is the best. Which one should I use? Shellacs | Interior Stains & Finishes | Paint | Décor | Home Depot Canada

Is there something better then shellac?

SemperFi 4th July 2013 09:51 PM

I'd try one of the marine high gloss paints. Tough as nails too. Seal the wood with epoxy primer of the same brand you choose for top coat paint.

chrisb 4th July 2013 11:11 PM

#2 to Semperfi's suggestion - if you're anywhere near a sizable body of water, fresh or salt, I'd look for a local boat builder - they might even do a small job like this for far less money than the total investment in equipment, materials and time it would take for a newbie to equal their results.