Room construction thoughts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From what i gather any dimension is good for a listening room.

It all depends on what kinda setup you get going into it, and if your gonna crank up the volume beyond the rooms comfortable resounding capacity.

Don't take my word for it though, but i think its a swell idea for a everyday getaway listening booth.

I have been giving some thought to building a loft in our home that measures 14.5'W x 19'D x 8'H. Are these good dimensions for a listening room?
TIA,
Paul

If you are building a "listening room" from scratch the BEST design is to not have any parallel walls. Build a five sided room with unequal lenght walls and a tilted ceiling.

If that is to much work maybe try and get rid of just one pair of parallel surfaces.

Next we think about the surfaces. Some sort of random surface like books or absorbers like foam.

Then there are sound proffing techniques that you do to the envelope. Some are inexpensive some not.

You can spend anything you want. But the worst case is a clean box with with three pair of wide parallel surfaces.

The "tilted" ceiling gets you the most...

dave

Yes I think you are right because in most reasonable sized rooms the ceiling is lager than any wall. But it is expensive to build a sloping ceiling.

Maybe lower cost it just make the surface a kind of defuser.

I think a couple odd triangle shape closets would help. and you need a closet anyways and not-square is the same cost as square.

I think there are a lot of low cost the OP could do. But it is always good to keep in mind the best-case design and the worst case design and then if a change is proposed to ask which design the change moves you closer to.

irregular shapes with no large flat surfaces are best, but expensive, a perfect cube is the worse possible shape. It is up to the OP to compromise performance and budget. and so on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.