Tri amp to single amp crossover ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New to the forum and doing a search didn't answer my question so I'll try here.

I have had a tri amp system for many years now and am now running out of amps, I started with a Crown D300 and two D150's and over the years have had to replace the D300, and one of the D150's and now have two D150's and a Parasound amp.

The Parasound is going and one of the D150's distorts when used for any length of time.

At 65, tinnitus has taken enough of my hearing that I just want to convert the speakers to single amp and save the cost of getting the amps repaired, the Crowns are probably over thirty years old and I'm not sure the cost to repair then would be worth it.

So...what I'm looking for is a crossover to use just the one amp.

Speakers are rated for:
Tweeter 1,600 to 20,000 hz
Mid 62 to 5,500 hz
Woofer 20 to 1000 hz

My knowledge of crossover designs is very limited, so if someone could suggest a kit or completed unit I'd appreciate it.
TIA

Al

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Tell us more about your (active?) crossovers and individual speaker drivers (model).

I recommend you look on craigslist for more amplifiers, as the existing system will have better performance, and be simpler and cheaper. Going from active(?) xo back to passive is a sisyphean task...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Consider purchasing one or more home theater amps from Emotiva, The Outlaws or similar, one or two of these will provide all of the amplification you need and should last quite a while. No amplifier is going to last forever without service.

Designing a ground up passive XO for your existing system is going to be a major design task if it is possible at all.

I am using a Behringer CX 3400 cross over now and a Hafler pre amp.

Yes I know it's sacrilegious to go backwards, but this system is used in my shop/garage and if I can add a crossover to each speaker and run it off a older Pioneer 939 receiver I'll be happy.

Thanks.

Al

Speakers are rated for:
Tweeter 1,600 to 20,000 hz
Mid 62 to 5,500 hz
Woofer 20 to 1000 hz

Peerless 850488 HDS 5.25" Mid/Woofer
Peerless 850488 Hds 5-1/4" Woofer 297-642

Morel tweeter.

Morel MDT-30S 1-1/8" Soft Dome Tweeter 277-015

DAYTON ST385-8 15" SERIES II WOOFER
Woofers in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 15

Enclosure specs

Vb = 4.7 cu.ft.
Fb = 21Hz
F3 = 26.5Hz

Vent:
Diameter = 3"
Length = 7"

Internal Dimensions:
18"W x 30"H x 16"D

External Dimensions:
19.5"W x 31.5"D x 17.5"D

Hope this helps.

While I would like to replace/repair the amps, it seems electronics is short lived in my garage/shop.
Between chemicals, sawdust, heat/cold and such, it all seems to play havoc on them.

Al

I would build one chipamp and use it on one driver and see how it performs.

If it satisfies then proceed with 5 more.

Maybe at a younger age when I was more apt to build multiple kits, but not now or for the garage, just a couple 3 way crossovers is all I need, thanks though.

I should be able to build the crossovers, but I can't design them.
Either a DIY kit or premade will work.

Al

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The FR curve for that Peerless 850488 mid-woofer suggests it might not even need ANY crossover! Then tailor a tweeter XO to taste with a cap and a resistor, and use the exisiting active XO for the woofer...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-08 at 13.32.11 .png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-08 at 13.32.11 .png
    68.5 KB · Views: 73
The FR curve for that Peerless 850488 mid-woofer suggests it might not even need ANY crossover! Then tailor a tweeter XO to taste with a cap and a resistor, and use the exisiting active XO for the woofer...

Like I mentioned, my knowledge on XO design is very limited, very limited.

I was looking more for a kit or manufactured XO versus actually designing one.
Thanks anyway though.

Al

Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you call Madisound, they will design a custom crossover and even build it for you.

But if you wanted to get a tiny taste of DIY (and take advantage of the perfectly matched ~90dB/W sensitivities of mid-woofer and tweeter and the mid-woofer's nice top end roll-off), we could put a capacitor in front of that tweeter and make a simple first order (6dB/oct) xo.
Network Circuits

So with your 8 Ohm tweeter and aiming for about a 5-6kHz high pass, I would start with a 2uF film cap and experiment with values around 1.6-2.2uF....

If you call Madisound, they will design a custom crossover and even build it for you.

But if you wanted to get a tiny taste of DIY (and take advantage of the perfectly matched ~90dB/W sensitivities of mid-woofer and tweeter and the mid-woofer's nice top end roll-off), we could put a capacitor in front of that tweeter and make a simple first order (6dB/oct) xo.
Network Circuits

So with your 8 Ohm tweeter and aiming for about a 5-6kHz high pass, I would start with a 2uF film cap and experiment with values around 1.6-2.2uF....

Ok, that I might be able to do, cap in front of tweeter in series then?

I just look for a 2uF flim cap then??

Nothing it sounds like for the mid woofer and low woofer then?
er...I see you mentioned the original XO for the woofer.

Thanks much.

Al

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you choose carefully from the current selection of cheap film caps from Apex Jr, with f.ex. 0.22uF, 1.5uF, and 2.0uF, you can make 1.5uF, 1.72uF, 2.0uF, and 2.22uF. Give those combos a listen, and adjust to taste.

If you're in the US, I will even send you some Mylar 0.22uF, 0.42, 1.0, and 2.2 for nothing...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 9.22.05 .png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 9.22.05 .png
    108.6 KB · Views: 61
If you choose carefully from the current selection of cheap film caps from Apex Jr, with f.ex. 0.22uF, 1.5uF, and 2.0uF, you can make 1.5uF, 1.72uF, 2.0uF, and 2.22uF. Give those combos a listen, and adjust to taste.

If you're in the US, I will even send you some Mylar 0.22uF, 0.42, 1.0, and 2.2 for nothing...

Thanks, I live in Minnesota.

Free is always nice, but I don't mind paying for them.

I'll PM you my address, once again, thanks.

Al

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.