Fun selector LED layout..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
OK this is for fun..

How do you wire a rotary selector switch using a bridge rectifier and a single diode so that 5 leds light to show the position of the switch ie one led shows position 1, two leds show position 2..the format is in the picture..(The dots show the leds that should be on in each position)..

I have the answer and will post it shortly..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Attachments

• DSCN3849a (640x479).jpg
    DSCN3849a (640x479).jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I try to keep any indicator lights to a minimum (and also keep them in a low energy, low glare red color -- as opposed to blue). Do you actually want 5 LEDs to be on at any one time? And will you be able to discern 4 lights on from 5 at the listening position?

A diode matrix is the answer. Consider using a 7-segment display to display the input number directly. One segment is used by all the digits, so can be wired permanently on, 2 & 3 have 3 more segments in common, so that can save a couple more diodes. How about a Nixie tube or other retro numeric display? About $10 will get you one shipped from Russia.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
As promised..

I quite like this layout as 3mm green LED's in the corner of a chassis..
I'm not a fan of the seven seg display...
The other way I like is with different colours under a glass prism so it changes colour with the input...

Regards
M. Gregg

Attachments

• DSCN3850 (640x479)x.jpg
    DSCN3850 (640x479)x.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 122
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.