Help me make a speaker system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to make a semi-portable, multidriver speaker. (I am totally new to this subject so I may get some terms wrong). I would like to know what i need. It has to be cheap (it doesn't have to be amazing quality, as long as its fun to make and pretty good). I am hoping to make the enclosure, and wire it all up myself. Would i need: a subwoofer? this? Pyle PLG54 Gear 5.25" Mid Bass Car Sub - Thompsons Ltd, some woofers? these? Boston Acoustics 4 1/2 inch Woofer (pr) High Output 96 dB SPL Electro Mavin - Categories, some midrange? coaxial? these?Pyle PL42BL Blue 4" 180w 2-Way Car Speakers - Thompsons Ltd some tweeters? these? Lanzar TCS 200w Silk Dome Car Tweeters - Thompsons Ltd an amp? Crossovers? battery with trickle charger? wires? i am hoping for it to be horizontal,in wood enclosure and have sub in middle, then woofers either side, then coaxials, then tweeters. would this work? please help me out i have no idea about anything on this subject. remember, im not after audiophile quality, just a bit of a project and pretty good speakers, also i am skint so not expensive please, thanks.

Greetings,

You should search for "boombox" on this forum.

Others have built these before and you could get some very good ideas from them.

We all would like "good but cheap" but you will have to compromise on one end of those requirements. (or possibly both)

Good luck and have fun.

:)

Start with a TA2024 amp from eBay for under $7 shipped. Use 5" to 6" car speakers from an abandoned car, thrift store, or yard sale if you don't already have some lying around. A sub will make it impractically heavy and bulky. For batteries, sealed lead acid is the best match to a 12V amp, but you pretty much have to buy them new. 12V 7AH is a popular size. NiCad or NiMH cells salvaged from a portable tool power pack could work, though charging isn't as straightforward unless you have a smart "hobby charger" like an iMax B6 from eBay ($20 shipped). Then again, replacement cells are easy to come by, so maybe trickle charging is "good enough".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.