Isolating turntable in a console - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2013, 03:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Isolating turntable in a console

I'm working on plans for a console-type stereo cabinet with built in speakers. How would I isolate the speaker vibrations from the rest of the cabinet, or at least from the turntable? At low listening levels, I think it wouldn't be too much of a problem, but I'm worried about the needle flopping around when the volume is up.

I suspect some sort of suspension could be used to hold the turntable, but I'm not sure how to execute this is tidy, non-janky way. How do they do it?
Old 11th June 2013, 06:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can consider making a daughter console for the turntable that has its foot on the ground. Design it so that it blends in the main cabinet.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 11th June 2013, 06:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The new Brionvega's are sold out
Old 11th June 2013, 11:24 AM   #4
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've heard that a concrete paving slab sitting on 4 tennis balls works in nightclubs that have to isolate turntables from very loud sound systems. Perhaps an MDF box full of sand, or laminating a bunch of layers of MDF together would achieve similar mass but look nicer. A partially-inflated bicycle inner tube might work as a spring instead of tennis balls. Or maybe there's some suitably springy closed-cell foam product. I suppose one could even resort to actual springs, or suitably large rubber bands. (Another DJ improvised suspension is said to be rubber bands wrapped over rolls of gaffer tape, one under each SL-1200 foot.)
Old 17th June 2013, 07:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

using the tennis balls but cut them in halfs, so that you have a flat base of the ball sitt'in on the isolation slab...
Old 17th June 2013, 08:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Much better than tennis balls are:

Sorbothane Hemisphere Bumpers #35-264
http://www.edmundoptics.com/optomech...ne-mounts/1618
Old 25th June 2013, 10:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Putting speakers and a turntable in the same enclosure is asking for trouble. There's a reason those old consoles look better than they sound. I like the idea of separate feet for the turntable. You can also try a huge amount of mass loading (50Lbs+). I've gotten good results 16"x16" lawn paving bricks, which come in a wide variety of styles, and you can sandwich some soundboard between them.

The other consideration is that any enclosed box will be susceptible to resonant vibration, so I would leave the back open to combat this, or cover it with cloth if you have pets to keep out.

Hide this!Advertise here!