Wireless Surround Sound System Build (help please) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2013, 07:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wireless Surround Sound System Build (help please)

hey, I'm extremely new to all this some I am looking for all the help I can get. But I am basically looking for some answers to do with an audio system I would like to create for a certain application in a project I'm working on. So I'm curious to know if it is possible to build your own 5.1 surround sound system or something similar where all the speakers run wireless. If this is possible my second question is does anyone know where I could get diagrams, a list of parts, and materials for a decent price to build such a system. Open to all comments and suggestions. cheers!
Old 27th May 2013, 05:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

First of all, you should not go for constructing the wireless devices as they are not for a beginner, but you can always buy the transmitter e.g. an FM transmitter and use an FM radio to receive and amplify the signals. If the demands are not very high end, you can buy three stereo transmitters working on different frequencies.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 27th May 2013, 06:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default squeezebox

Mhh I remember that I encountered this site when looking for something
similar. Now I'm embarked in totally opposite direction by trying to listen at best my ( few) LPs .
But, the first consideration that comes to mind is the power supply of each speaker, if battery or from the mains ( via a transformer )
Old 27th May 2013, 05:50 PM   #4
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Or the Lindy..

Then again its a USB so you would have to work around..

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 28th May 2013, 01:09 AM   #5
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

The short answer is no. It just isn't worth the difficulty and expense. Getting power to each speaker takes as much effort, possibly more (if there's no convenient AC outlet), than running speaker cable. In certain circumstances it could make sense to use a wireless link for the rear channels.

For a high-quality fixed wireless link, maybe use a pair of S/PDIF to analog converters ($20 each on eBay), but replace the Toslink transmitter and receiver with infrared optoelectronics and optics to extend the range. Or maybe you'd just need a visible red laser?

Hide this!Advertise here!