Bare Speaker mounted in brick wall - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2013, 03:01 AM   #11
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

with that Fs, it's not exactly a great driver for this application.
also you may find the suspension *may* not be up to handling that much SPL...

I urge you to read the other IB threads here to get some other ideas.

It's fine to go ahead and do this experiment, but I'd blast a hole large enough for at least a standard 12" driver and best, a 15". (we can skip the 18" drivers for now).

Also I don't recall reading what is on the other side of that brick wall?
Is it open to another space or is it a cavity between walls, with studs??
Big difference in what you need to do.

_-_-bear
Old 4th June 2013, 03:46 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default The Finished product

Hey guys, so I went ahead with it, decided to see what would happen. Here's a few pictures, and a few questions at the end.

The driver sounds better, but that's not saying much, since the driver was in the box in the picture, which I put together myself with no calculations, just guess work. The volume is less, which makes sense since there's no port, but tit sounds more "accurate", and just generally a little better. Also, no vibrating at certain frequencies. Which is nice.

Question, what should I use between the wall and the speaker? The part that is screwed down, I have a bit of t shirt in there at the moment. Should I use something like silicone to glue it down? or what?

Once I have completed the cupboard on the other side of the wall, (I need to plaster the wall and build in the cupboard, no backing or siding will be used) I'll see what the speaker sounds like, and decide if I want to do the other, or seal up the hole.

Any other thoughts? advice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hole1.jpg (147.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Hole2.jpg (718.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Hole3.jpg (612.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 13th June 2013, 07:25 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

We're afraid to give advice to someone who removes bricks from a load-bearing corner without checking with their parents first.
Old 13th June 2013, 07:54 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Um? Yes. It would be a very good thing to be hesitant to not give advice to those people.

However.

My parents do know:P My dad was keen on knowing how it'd work out.

More importantly, the wall is internal, and not load bearing. I checked this in the ceiling. Moreover, its a single brick divider wall, the load bearing walls are two bricks thick on the outer sides. Lol

I'm not that mad

Please do give what advice you guys have that horrible cupboard looking thing with bare walls is now plastered and being painted for a new cupboard to go in.
Old 19th June 2013, 04:01 AM   #15
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

You need a 100% seal.

I think you may have that... not sure from ur description. the back should be open to the air.

It looks like a smallish driver, and not a sub... so it ought to be pretty ok, but unless you know
the Qt and VAS plus the Xmax its hard to know what it will do in this IB set up...

_-_-

Last edited by bear; 19th June 2013 at 04:05 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!