Protecting drivers from little fingers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I removed the speaker cloth from my speakers tonight for an inspection and was horrified to see that the dustcaps on both of the bottom drivers have been pushed in. I suspect my kids, as they are around that height.

I managed to pop them both out using a bit of stickytape, but they still have little dents that I dont think I'll ever get out.

I can't see them with the speaker cloth back on, but it got me thinking about ways to stop it happening again.

How acoustically damaging would putting a mesh under the speaker cloth be?

Coarse square wire mesh (say 10mm x 10mm) under the speaker cloth would certainly stop the intrusion, but might show some texture though the cloth... whereas fine metal flywire would probably be smoother, but would it be more acoustically destructive than a coarse mesh?

thanks all,

This morning I got some 10mmx10mm aviary wire, pulled out the staples holding the cloth and carefully put the wire under the cloth, stapled it down and then stapled the cloth over the top.

Although there is some texturing, its not too bad actually - and gives the front a pleasing curve that wasnt there before.

Will definitely prevent this happening again (never say never though).

Will consider buying new drivers and keeping the dented ones as spares, but will probably leave it for the time being.

How acoustically damaging would putting a mesh under the speaker cloth be?

I did cloth grill over a dog/cat/animal proof insect "netting" for screen doors too child proof my speakers.
It worked, but it vibrated at a certain frequency. I cut it out, but the cloth was tight and had enough space between the drivers that nothing ever got damaged.

Metal grills are the way to go if you have children. I think they look cool others don't. I suppose cloth grills do look better, but they also hide view of the drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.