Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2013, 08:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Boat making techniques in Speaker Cabinet making....

Hey Guys, this is a question I've wondered about for a while. There's a course offered out my way at the trades school teaching cabinet making, and as part of the course they do a section on boat and canoe building. If you approached building a speaker cabinet in this way, with a round back like the hull of a boat, do you think you could get some interesting effects? Think it would have any effect? I know i've got a round back ovation guitar, and the design has kept up because it puts out more sound as a general rule. Is the same true for speakers? Think it's worth checking out? Thanks!
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:47 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

It wouldn't take long to find much weirder design and material/construction approaches by DIYers over the years, so certainly, why not.

As to the sonic effects of any particular design / material / technique, good luck finding consensus on that
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I would expect that fiberglass boat building techniques would be better applied to speaker cabinets than wooden boatbuilding techniques. The structure of a boat hull is designed to provide flotation, balance and resistance to hydrodynamic forces, not to be acoustically optimum.
Old 23rd May 2013, 06:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

define "acoustically optimum"

these innocent queries have a habit if devolving into polemics, the short-cut to an answer for sansterre might include the question - do you have a particular application / aesthetic in mind?
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

In a boat acoustically optimum is when you only hear the sound of water rushing by the outside of the hull!
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The JBL Ti10k speaker cabinets were built with technique from danish boat-builders.
Very nice sounding speaker. Looking a little bit like a canoe, especially if you glue two of them together.
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
In a boat acoustically optimum is when you only hear the sound of water rushing by the outside of the hull!

Old 23rd May 2013, 08:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajapruk View Post
The JBL Ti10k speaker cabinets were built with technique from danish boat-builders.
Very nice sounding speaker. Looking a little bit like a canoe, especially if you glue two of them together.

FWIW, having primarily a woodworking industry background my personal favorite "non-standard" (non-monkey coffin) design / construction methodology for speaker enclosures is that employed by B&W in the Nautilus series. It's rather tricky for a DIYer to emulate the production engineering of even the wooden enclosure portion in entirety (& I've tried more than once ) .
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:54 PM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

If you have a speaker that sounds good and floats, you are approaching nirvana.
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The boat building WEST System (Wet Epoxy Saturation Technique) is a wonderful way to DIY curved plywood objects.

WEST SYSTEM | Project for Epoxy

Hide this!Advertise here!