Alternative to Front Panel Express? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2013, 11:40 PM   #1
tdaniel is offline tdaniel  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Alternative to Front Panel Express?

Ran across this guy - stuff.digitalcraftpdx.stuff. Does CNC work for $50 / hr., no minimum, charges by the minute. So, 1/2 hr. is $35 (under 1 hr., $10 setup). Also, will laser cut wood up to 1/8, acrylic, wood or shell veneer, you name it for $35/hr. You just shoot him an EPS file. He can supply mat'l or you send. Has 3D printing too.

I live in an apartment, and there is no way I'm going to set up a table saw! I live in an apartment 'cause I'm poor, and there's no way I can afford FPE! However, in a former life (before I was Shirley MacLaine) I ran a laser at a sign shop, so I am real comfortable with this. I figure about 1 1/2 hrs. tops, including setup and cleanup, for what I'm contemplating, +$18 mat'l (1/8" baltic birch ply @ $3/sq.ft.), so $66 for a fairly large chassis with all cutouts and holes, and custom engraving, ready to be glued up. (BTW, I'm doubling the plywood to make 1/4" sides, inner piece 1/4 shorter than outer, top just drops onto the ledge thus formed. Likewise, staggered joints at corners. Top double ply also, with vertical strip reinforcement under the trannys).

Can't beat that price with a club.

Just thought I'd I'd pass the you are ell along in case anyone is interested.
Old 17th May 2013, 12:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
this here?

Custom CNC Product Design Digital Fabrication by digitalcraftpdx
Old 17th May 2013, 02:07 AM   #3
tdaniel is offline tdaniel  United States
diyAudio Member

Yup. I think Etsy provides credit card processing services, web hosting, etc. in an inexpensive package.
Old 7th January 2014, 02:57 AM   #4
DWP is offline DWP  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry to revive an old thread but,

I'm newish to diy audio but my day job is printing fine books. Owosso Graphic Arts in MI makes printing plates for relief (raised lettering) or intaglio (recessed) processes in magnesium, copper and brass in thicknesses from 11pt, 16 gauge and inch. For example, just before the holiday I had a 16g (1/16") 4x5" copper plate made for $41.40 + shipping. They accept digital files from most desktop design software or print ready pdf. Plenty more info at their website: https://www.owosso.com

Just another possible solution for the rest of you out there and an alternative to aluminum or steel.
Old 16th February 2014, 12:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oregon is a bit far for me... I use Crown Trophy right now to make a thin aluminum faceplate that is secured to a thicker aluminum one for the box.

Hide this!Advertise here!