Fusing and Mains inlet impedance / noise help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm experimenting with different case fuses in my ARC LS7 pre and to my surprise replacing the 750mA TD11 fuse with a 10Amp version yields a larger soundstage and a more realistic presentation (to my ears at least)

I'm not prepared to keep using the 10Amp fuse as it's not exactly safe, so what I was thinking was to replace the 750mA fuse with an Airpax circuit breaker...

Does anybody have any experience of swapping fuses for circuit breakers in pre / power amps?

Some preliminary research seems to show that a 'normal' circuit breaker has a much higher impedance than a fuse and should sound worse...however I can now remove the on/off switch so will this result in a net power inlet impedance reduction?

Are thermal breakers better than magnetic?

Many thanks

Dan

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Breakers often use both magnetic sensing (for serious sudden overload) and thermal (for long term overload where the overload current may be say 30% over the rating)

You can hear a difference... why not get someone else to swap the fuses for you when you are not in the room and see if you can pick the difference out then :)

I'm not saying yay or nay, just that expectation sometimes plays a huge role :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.