Question for an Audiophile on system connection? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2013, 08:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Cool Question for an Audiophile on system connection?

Is there some particular reason I cannot or should not connect one Preamp line source signal out/RCA to another different Preamps RCA input. I E Aux input verses CD input of the second Preamp?

Why do I feel the need to due this, long story but will explain if you care to know...

Thks for comments, advice pro and cons not that knowledgeable when it comes to spec. electronics but have a general concept and basic experience with home Music and AV system configurations.

Help am connecting multi turntables, plus analog/digital source units with RCA outs to a bi-amped setup.

Really need both Preamps connected, one to the other, but seems like this will create a real problem.

Please see added entry below...

Last edited by jeffjeremy; 17th April 2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Additional Info on the Primary preamp being connected to:
Old 17th April 2013, 09:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

There's no electronic reason not to do it. Noise is likely to be the biggest problem.
I'm still not sure why this is really needed. Are you adding the inputs of both preamps to have enough?
Old 17th April 2013, 10:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thks for the reply so soon was hoping that was the deal.

Additional Info on the Primary preamp being connected to:

Max Apt Holman signal input levels:
All line inputs are 50 kΩ in parallel with 330 pF.
Unselected inputs are terminated with 2.2 kΩ.
Maximum input level: 10 V RMS (+20 dBV or +22 dBm).
3 line-level inputs. 2 tape monitor loops.
1 external processor loop, for a total of six line-level with two phono inputs!
Outputs:
Two MAIN Output Levels 2 V RMS

Also as listed: From the users manual.
“The Phono 2 input feeds the selector switch thru a series of jumpers, #1 thru 4 on the circuit board. These bypass the connector for the pre-preamp function & must be cut if a pre-preamp or special network is installed.”

Special network: I E define this terms probable definition?

I.E. The Jolida JD9 Mk II is a versatile hybrid phono-tube pre-stage/preamp.

What relationship does the above design aspect have to do with the possibility off connecting another Preamp main out, to this Preamp phono2 input, with these jumpers disconnected?

Last edited by jeffjeremy; 17th April 2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Missing Info
Old 17th April 2013, 10:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

What jumpers? What you don't want to do is connect anything to a phono input. Except a phono output signal.
Old 17th April 2013, 11:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes I understand this was actually another question really. I was look'in up the Apt Holman
spec on the inputs even thu I might not fully understand the numbers.
When I remembered this part in the manual about the phono2 input I have a Jolida MK II that has both a pre-pre out and a line signal out. The fact that the Apt mentions this extra function of connecting a phono pre-pre signal got me thinking doesn't by passing these jumpers effectively chg the phono2 inputs to something else. I E another line source input?
Old 17th April 2013, 07:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Overall system design goals, this info provided as mentioned above:

My Muti turntable (3)/Cassett analog signal plus digital(CD/MD/SACD) Pro EQ/Xover Bi-amp design.
I E: This is an original setup developed by me in an attempt to solve several home stereo sound quality conflicts in a limited listening space. ( These tower units will utilize 8 individual drivers per channel plus a single 8inch sub)

Primary turntable Yamaha PX3 linear tonearm with HiFi AK(handbuilt) mid gain/MC cartridge, via hybrid/tubed phono line stage, then to 31 band 1/3 octave Pro EQ, into 2nd tier (Hi/Low)ProXover unit with silver conductor XLR balanced leads.

Split stereo signals are then bi-amped for Hi/Low feeds (Counterpoint hybrid/Rotel solidstate 2 channel amps) to what amount’s to a bi-wired (tower L/R) speaker set. Utilizing two Yamaha NR500s large 3way bookshelf plus a set of Sansui (old school) 4way bookshelf (5 drivers per) speakers working together as one left tower/one right tower delivered via a 1st tier 105watts (Counter point 12A for the Low side) signals to the Yamaha’s, 2nd tier 60watts(Rotel-Hi side) signals thru the Sansui 5 speaker portion plus a mono 8” slotted subwoofer via (300watts peak), Carver cube, bridged LF control power amp. I E (60 Hz and below so as not to load up the tower L/R speaker sets with these important low freq. signals ). Note stereo LF subs would be preferred but I’m completely out of space in this current listening (room) environment.

Peggy backed preamps being a Audio Illusions 2 early gen (tube) connected to a very nice condition Apt Holman. The Audio Illusions will carry two turntables, a Nakamichi single CD & Pioneer CT-F950 cassette to the Apt Holman aux input, while the A/H pre will support a Jolida MK II line stage MC turntable in the other aux input, two digital recordable media units (CD/MD) one in each tape loop plus a SAE 5000A pop/click unit in the sound processor loop.

Hope this works without adding too much switching/connection noise?
Old 19th April 2013, 05:19 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

BUMP

Anyone else wish to chime in...
Old 19th April 2013, 06:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm also considering having the volume poti's in each stated preamp chg over to "Japan ALPS RK27 VOLUME potentiometer Dual 50K ROUNDED" poti's. Just to cleanup potential signal noise in these vintage units??
I looked into the step SMD attenuators (DACT/GOLDPOINT) but needing at least two different one's there expensive and plus labor to install. Cannot really find any recent info on these SMD verses Alps poti's. I know the attenuators better the pot's but a set of Golppoints are over $300.00. Just seems overkill...
Old 19th April 2013, 07:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Problem solved will follow up with details soon...
Old 21st April 2013, 05:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

AS promised!
Even thu I seems to be IMing myself...
Yaqin with gold RCA upgrades MSRP $225.00
Passive Preamplifier Dale Resistor Stepped attenuator

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...pduleiw_12.jpg

OMG I've actually complicated the above system outline again.

Hide this!Advertise here!