Turntable housing dilemma

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We have completely stripped and redecorated our living room, using the opportunity to run speaker cables in the walls and fit wall mounted speaker sockets. So far so good. However, a problem that I thought may arise has now arisen, and this is that there will be nowhere for my turntable in the new scheme of things.

The unit that we are considering for all of the entertainment equipment (Amp/CD/DVD/PVR/DAB etc) will have the TV sitting on top of it so no surface for the TT. We have had the room replastered from bare brick so mounting anything on walls is not an option any more.

However, I am going to try mounting it on a substantial sliding shelf that will enable it to be housed below the TV and above the electronics. I am going to make what will effectively be a drawer. This will be made from 20mm thick pine (sides and bottom) to match the cabinet and will be made very rigid. This will sit in the top shelf area of the cabinet and will slide on heavy duty steel runners attached to the drawer and the cabinet sides. The runners I have seen are around 80mm high and are absolutely rigid at full extension. The turntable will then sit on this sliding platform which will be pulled out to expose the TT. The TT does not have a dust cover which keeps the required clearance height down to about 130mm. The proposed housing cabinet itself is a fairly substantial solid wood affair measuring 80cm W, 60cm H and 40cm D.

Anyway, this is how I am planning to do this at present. However, if anyone has tried anything else or has any other ideas, I would be grateful to hear them before I commit to my current plan. Thanks.

After e had seen the swiss cheese that was our walls, we have vowed not to drill into them again. I know the holes are easy to repair but I want to keep the walls "virgin" for a while. I think I am happy with the sliding method, it is a compromise but it allows me to use the TT. It will also keep it hidden away from a couple of three year old Grand children.

As out of interest, the tuntable is currently being built. It is based around a slightly modified Dual CS505 that has had the headshell tweaked, the suspension damping removed and the clamp screws removed. This will be housed in a new solid plinth on which will be mounted a second Audio Technica arm. The idea is that I have the option of the semi automatic Dual arm with the chassis free to float. However, by clamping the chassis down to the plinth with three screws, I can use the AT arm. The whole plinth will sit on Microsorber adjustable feet. Anyway, I am going to post some pictures when it is complete.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.