diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Construction Tips (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/)
-   -   Interconnect DIY, XLR connectors (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/231582-interconnect-diy-xlr-connectors.html)

mangew 8th March 2013 05:47 AM

Interconnect DIY, XLR connectors
 
Hello,

I need new interconnects with XLR.

What is the "best" DIY interconnect do you think?

Im thinking of take a CAT6 cable (belden mediatwist) strip of the blue insulation and braid the 4 (paired) leaders. Over that copper shielding braid and finish with teflon tape.

I will connect the singlecolor and color/white braiden CAT6 leaders to + and - making 4pcs of leaders to each connector and copperbraid to earth. Is this a suitable cable or suggestion to a better build?

My other question, can a interconnect be to short? What is miniumun length?

DF96 8th March 2013 10:28 AM

Best DIY interconnect consists of decent commercial quality cable attached using competent soldering technique to decent commercial quality connectors. Anything less than this, including almost all 'DIY cables', will be inferior and sound different due to interference pickup, microphony etc.

An interconnect is too short when it can't reach between the two items it is supposed to connect together.

AndrewT 8th March 2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DF96 (Post 3401318)
........ interconnect is too short when it can't reach between the two items.............

I love you DF !!!!!

Speedskater 9th March 2013 12:00 AM

For connectors, the list starts and ends at Neutrik.
For bulk cable the list is:
Belden
Canare
Gepco
Mogami

Get shielded twisted pair.

While CAT5 or 6 can work well, there are a bunch of conditions.

qusp 9th March 2013 03:11 AM

braided is inferior to consistently and tightly coupled twisted pair for balanced.

as to length, I agree with DF96, if its not long enough to connect the 2 components with both boxes in their preferred locations, its not long enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangew (Post 3401090)
Hello,

I need new interconnects with XLR.

What is the "best" DIY interconnect do you think?

Im thinking of take a CAT6 cable (belden mediatwist) strip of the blue insulation and braid the 4 (paired) leaders. Over that copper shielding braid and finish with teflon tape.

I will connect the singlecolor and color/white braiden CAT6 leaders to + and - making 4pcs of leaders to each connector and copperbraid to earth. Is this a suitable cable or suggestion to a better build?

My other question, can a interconnect be to short? What is miniumun length?


Speedskater 9th March 2013 11:59 PM

Some serious testing of balanced interconnect cables:

Common-Mode to Differential-Mode Conversion
in Shielded Twisted-Pair Cables
(Shield-Current-Induced Noise)

Jim Brown1 and Bill Whitlock2

1Audio Systems Group, Inc. Chicago, IL, 60640, USA
jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
2Jensen Transformers, Inc., Van Nuys, CA, USA 91406

http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/AES-SCIN-ASGWeb.pdf

AndrewT 10th March 2013 11:22 AM

Note that, to get the benefit of Balanced impedance interconnections, one must match the source impedances and match the receiving impedances very accurately.
Quote:

Neil Muncy [1] has shown that audio frequency current flowing on the shield of twisted-pair audio wiring will be
converted to differential mode voltage by any imbalance in the transfer impedance of the cable. He hypothesized that
the effect is magnified by the presence of a drain wire and increases linearly with frequency. Whitlock [2] and others
have shown that conversion also occurs with capacitive imbalance.

mangew 12th March 2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp (Post 3402351)
braided is inferior to consistently and tightly coupled twisted pair for balanced.

as to length, I agree with DF96, if its not long enough to connect the 2 components with both boxes in their preferred locations, its not long enough.

Ok, so if i braid my stripped Belden mediatvist pairtvinned wire and braid and then a copper braid over that it its no good?

Any suggestion to good cable to buy in bulk (meter)? I want some then that should be really good techically. I have found som e microphonecable from Mogami w2549 i think its called, but is it the "best" to buy?

I have both neutrik connectors and some more Hifi fitted (read nice looking) connectors and probably will do two or more pairs of cable to test some different.

As you understand i a completely noob regarding technical issues and want you knowledge and recommendation to buy the right stuff to build some nice cables both performeance and look. I have litte time to do it and i could spend some money too.

xjr100 12th March 2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangew (Post 3401090)
What is the "best" DIY interconnect do you think?

Best for DIY is to make cable yourself from known manufacturers with prooven quality. You just save about 1/2 of the price.

Take a look on DH-Labs:
Cables: BL-1 Series II, ProStudio, AirMAtrix
Connectors: XLR-F and XLR-M

marce 13th March 2013 07:34 AM

Before you worry to much about the papers posted above, the tests were for cable lengths found in PA,s for a couple of metres in a home envoironment the effects are going to be much less. and the benefits outweigh the downside.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:47 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2