Interconnect DIY, XLR connectors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I need new interconnects with XLR.

What is the "best" DIY interconnect do you think?

I´m thinking of take a CAT6 cable (belden mediatwist) strip of the blue insulation and braid the 4 (paired) leaders. Over that copper shielding braid and finish with teflon tape.

I will connect the singlecolor and color/white braiden CAT6 leaders to + and - making 4pcs of leaders to each connector and copperbraid to earth. Is this a suitable cable or suggestion to a better build?

My other question, can a interconnect be to short? What is miniumun length?

Best DIY interconnect consists of decent commercial quality cable attached using competent soldering technique to decent commercial quality connectors. Anything less than this, including almost all 'DIY cables', will be inferior and sound different due to interference pickup, microphony etc.

An interconnect is too short when it can't reach between the two items it is supposed to connect together.

braided is inferior to consistently and tightly coupled twisted pair for balanced.

as to length, I agree with DF96, if its not long enough to connect the 2 components with both boxes in their preferred locations, its not long enough.

Hello,

I need new interconnects with XLR.

What is the "best" DIY interconnect do you think?

I´m thinking of take a CAT6 cable (belden mediatwist) strip of the blue insulation and braid the 4 (paired) leaders. Over that copper shielding braid and finish with teflon tape.

I will connect the singlecolor and color/white braiden CAT6 leaders to + and - making 4pcs of leaders to each connector and copperbraid to earth. Is this a suitable cable or suggestion to a better build?

My other question, can a interconnect be to short? What is miniumun length?

Last edited:
Note that, to get the benefit of Balanced impedance interconnections, one must match the source impedances and match the receiving impedances very accurately.
Neil Muncy [1] has shown that audio frequency current flowing on the shield of twisted-pair audio wiring will be
converted to differential mode voltage by any imbalance in the transfer impedance of the cable. He hypothesized that
the effect is magnified by the presence of a drain wire and increases linearly with frequency. Whitlock [2] and others
have shown that conversion also occurs with capacitive imbalance.

braided is inferior to consistently and tightly coupled twisted pair for balanced.

as to length, I agree with DF96, if its not long enough to connect the 2 components with both boxes in their preferred locations, its not long enough.

Ok, so if i braid my stripped Belden mediatvist pairtvinned wire and braid and then a copper braid over that it it´s no good?

Any suggestion to good cable to buy in bulk (meter)? I want some then that should be really good techically. I have found som e microphonecable from Mogami w2549 i think it´s called, but is it the "best" to buy?

I have both neutrik connectors and some more Hifi fitted (read nice looking) connectors and probably will do two or more pairs of cable to test some different.

As you understand i a completely noob regarding technical issues and want you knowledge and recommendation to buy the right stuff to build some nice cables both performeance and look. I have litte time to do it and i could spend some money too.

Last edited:
I have just rebuilt a stereo amplifier.
I used XLRs for the inputs.

Pin1 to chassis via the bolts on the metal body of the XLR socket.
Pin2 to Signal Hot on amp pcb.
Pin3 to Signal Ground on amp pcb.

I also added the input plug RF attenuation of 47pF in addition to the more normal 680pF at the amp pcb.

But the big difference from previous.

I used three 47pF to attenuate both differential mode and common mode RF arriving at the input pins.
47pF from Pin1 to Pin2, 47pF from Pin2 to Pin3 and 47pF from Pin3 to Pin1.
Are there any downsides to having these 3 caps on the XLR pins?

If at a later date I add Cordell's Bal to unbal converter stage ahead of the amp pcb, will anything need to be changed at the XLR or will the same physical assembly still work with a balanced input?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.