Looking for DIY Interconnect Links - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2013, 08:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for DIY Interconnect Links

As the title says, I'm looking for some links to DIY interconnects I can try. Here's one I found already that seems to use good materials and is very straightforward.

DIY Audio Electronics from Zynsonix.com: Building an easy pair of Cardas RCA Interconnects

Any others?

Regards,
Dan
Old 19th February 2013, 09:38 PM   #2
xjr100 is offline xjr100  Europe
diyAudio Member

DH-Labs Bulk cables, RCAs + termination instructions are here:
Pro Studio Silver Sonic Audio Interconnect Cable - Fidelity Components Shop

Really nice cable is DH-Labs ProStudio with DH-Labs Ultimate RCAs
If you build your own cable yourself it can compete with cables which cost >400EUR /1m stereo pair. It is directional cable - take a look on Download tab - there is PDF with termination instructions.
Old 19th February 2013, 10:25 PM   #3
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Dan:

I don't have personal experience with them, but Chris VenHaus' website provides a recipe for silver interconnects: DIY Silver Interconnects

VenHaus sells the requisite parts, of course. My experience with his power cords (principally Flavors 1 and 2) has been very positive.

Regards,
Scott
Old 20th February 2013, 12:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

For unbalanced (RCA) analog interconnects, using a cable or wires other than a co-ax with a heavy braided shield is dumb, dumb, dumb.
Old 20th February 2013, 01:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
For unbalanced (RCA) analog interconnects, using a cable or wires other than a co-ax with a heavy braided shield is dumb, dumb, dumb.
This thread looked interesting but it appears the author has faded away.

My contribution to this site...if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Dan
Old 20th February 2013, 01:47 AM   #6
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
Why dumb? I use un-shielded cables and have no noise problem, they sound great! In fact I have made RCA interconnects with simple twisted cheap wire and there is no added noise. Not that I don't prefer better designs than that, but I can't figure out why shielding is needed.
Old 20th February 2013, 04:33 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I use Belden 1694a cable with ICM Corp. connectors and tool. The tool will connect not only RCA connectors, but BNC and F connectors also.
Old 21st February 2013, 12:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Dumb because:
a] Bill Whitlock writes that a long well shielded co-ax can have up to 23dB less low frequency noise.
b] Because almost every new electrical product that you bring into a home has a built-in SMPS interference generator. Unshielded interconnects are great antennas for this interference.
Old 21st February 2013, 01:30 PM   #9
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

SMPS interference generator! they are not that bad, and commercial equipemnt should be tested to at least CE for europe and FCC for you lot across the pond... that said we do now live in an RF rich envoironment, mobile phones, digital devices (with there SMPS's) mains lines communications do all add to the RF noise that your equipement will face, and this RF can cover a wide band, including 50/60Hz noise from your mains, all will be picked up if you are not careful.
Old 21st February 2013, 01:42 PM   #10
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe my ears aren't good enough, but I have yet to appreciate this type of noise in system I have had in multiple houses. But I don't place my system near any appliances.

Hide this!Advertise here!