Mounting woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't see any wires so it must be Wifi.......! :D

workshop photos before delivery to owner ( Bud), but there was a removable strip in the back to accommodate a wire chase, with a through hole behind the drivers, so would still be rather tidy

took rather a lot of very nervous dry fitting to get the rebate for the asymmetrical Lowther frame just right -

Attachments

• Bud's Bamboo 004.jpg
    Bud's Bamboo 004.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Bud's Bamboo 005.jpg
    Bud's Bamboo 005.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 70
I don't see any wires so it must be Wifi.......! :D

:D Kindhornman, don't ya love the new technology...the cable debate now turns to air quality :eek:

I see that you've been involved with speaker design and plastics.
Have you ever worked with "Corian" a Dupont product?
Marko

Marko - Corian, and the various other brands of acrylic and polyester solid surface materials have numerous aesthetic benefits - some by Karadon and Avonite for example have gorgeous colors and textures in the translucent series, but they definite have some downsides when it comes to structural integrity, particularly in those with patterns created by heavy volumes of mineral or solid metal flake particulates.

While it'd be theoretically possible to build an enclosure solely from the 1/2" or thicker materials that are available on special order that would have sufficient structural integrity to endure the duty cycle expected in a domestic loudspeaker, I think it would be foolish to rely on any type of fasteners only in the material itself, particularly for woofers - which was the opening subject of this thread.

There's a reason that most of the suppliers will only sell to certified fabrication shops, and in industrial / commercial applications such as where I work Solid Surface materials are always clad on a plywood / MDF substructure.

All this of course avoiding the question as to whether the physical properties of such material would be desirable in a loudspeaker enclosure - that's a whole 'nother flaming thread - but I'll stick my neck out and say - I don't think so.

Chrisb
Thanks for the good info on these fabricated products. I have some familiarity with the different types and manufactures however, they are used in different applications. Your comments about structural integrity and fastening concerns are most helpful. Based on this, if I do choose to integrate Corian into my final design, I will see that it is properly fastened to a ridged plywood substrate.
Kindest,
Marko :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.