Gotham & Son Mercer Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2013, 08:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Gotham & Son Mercer Speakers

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to speaker building, but have woodworking experience. Recently I came across Gotham & Son Mercer speakers and I like the design. I'd like to build my own using dovetail joinery. The problem is I know nothing about speaker design and have no idea what is inside these boxes. Where do I inform myself and start the speaker building process?

Thanks, Seth

Look up Gotham & Son Mercer speakers. I'm not sure if I can link here.
Old 15th February 2013, 09:54 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Click the image to open in full size.

Seth, looks like a Tangband 3" in an oversize box, with a big resonant space under it.

Nothing special about the joinery (but joint plywood). Have a look around, lots of proven small speakers you could make using a dovetail

dave
Old 15th February 2013, 11:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=planet10;3371552]Click the image to open in full size.

Seth, looks like a Tangband 3" in an oversize box, with a big resonant space under it.

Nothing special about the joinery (but joint plywood). Have a look around, lots of proven small speakers you could make using a dovetail

Yeah, I saw the Tangband 3" at Parts Express and thought it looked about right.

Where do I find proven small speaker designs you speak of? I can find kits, but few actual drawings/plans with theory explained behind them. I'd like to know some theory but also practical design issues involved in small speaker making. I've seen the Frugal Horn plans in the massive upright configuration.

Do you think these Mercer speakers have a down pointing port into the empty space below the speaker?

Thanks for your patience,
Seth
Old 15th February 2013, 11:43 PM   #4
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I wonder if this is a big vent reflex (BVR) design? There are designs around but generally I have never seen one for a 3 in driver. Perhaps the design may be similar to this? Click the image to open in full size.
You might want to check out the "Full Range" speaker forum for ideas and folks there can help.
Looking at this photo from their website it appears that there is a panel underneath so that it does appear to be a BVR without a bottom - the floor or whatever it sits on serves as the bottom of the horn vent.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by xrk971; 15th February 2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 17th February 2013, 03:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Yeah maybe.

I think it's anyone's guess because the pictures show very little of the underside or side or inside for that matter. So yeah, it could be a big vent reflex. I'll give it a shot over at the full range speaker forum. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hide this!Advertise here!