I want to teach my son how to solder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My uncle taught me how to solder when I was 7 years old. I'm 62 this year. I've used 60/40 Multicore SOLDER (notice the L in soLder) and I'm perfect ly OK. :D
I suspect a conspiracy here against LEAD.
Don't buy a car from The Official Boyd Coddington Website. They used loads of lead on their bodywork and don't forget the lead in your car battery.
Its all a con I tell you. :rolleyes:

As for the tools you need, its horses for courses. :D

BTW, beware ALUMINIUM (note correct spelling), it can cause Alzheimer’s disease, allegedly. ;)

Compared with all the other risks we all expose ourselves to every time we get out of bed, the risks (of any sort) from soldering are just risibly small.

One UK local authority has just banned triangular-shaped flapjacks from all its catering premises - because the pointy bits can cause injury! I would put fears about soldering in just about the same league.

Lead in petrol became gaseous, because it was not lead but a compound of lead. Lead in paint was a problem because children would suck it, because some lead compounds taste sweet.

Lead in solder is lead, not a compound. The only precautions needed against lead in solder is to wash your hands after soldering, and clean up - don't leave solder splats on the floor for children or pets to put in their mouth. There are dangers in soldering, but they come from risk of burns and inhaling flux.

My personal view is that the EU ban on lead in manufactured goods is a mistake. I suspect that more people will die in car crashes caused by lead-free solder failing than would be killed by leaded solder.

I found it so incredible that I *had* to check it
Essex school bans triangular flapjacks after injury | UK news | guardian.co.uk

I beg your pardon?:confused:
A kid was (very slightly, of course) hurt in the face, so
the triangular version was banned after one was thrown, hitting a boy in the face.

Thanks God, I was beginning to think that modern flapjacks carried a mini rocket engine, a kid-face-homing device , and, why stop at that? ... a mini-warhead too.:eek:

At least, they reacted like if my stupid idea were reality.

*NOWHERE* does it say they took *ANY* action about kids throwing stuff at each other.

Which is fine, it's Politically incorrect to make people responsible for ANYTHING.
Even more if they are kids.

This was not an useless piece of news, now I have solved one big existential question: "do they make IQ tests to "people in command"?

Now I know, they DO :) .... only they hire those who fail :(

"do they make IQ tests to "people in command"?
Now I know, they DO :) .... only they hire those who fail :(

and I heard on BBC radio news that the offending triangular flapjacks will be replaced with square or rectangular ones. REALLY!!! not round or even with rounded off corners? So now they'll have four points instead of just three.
I can only quote Python: " My brain hurts! "

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.