Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2013, 01:30 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I am with you bear, but some people are more sensitive to these things than others.

As to the led in our plumbing: I have never met a retired plumber with lead poisoning. But, than, they all live in Florida and I don't. Any old plumbing still in use using leded solder: these connections would be coverd with calcium deposits making lead transfer into our water supply all but impossible. E
Old 2nd February 2013, 02:09 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamRichards View Post
I have some old solder which contains lead; I would prefer not to use this with my son, I am consider using kester lead free solder however I am not sure if it will work with my old 15 watt solder iron. I have heard lead free solder needs higher temperature to melt. Does anyone know if I need a hotter solder iron or will I be fine with my 15 watt solder iron

What other soldering accessories would you recommend, would a flux pen be useful.

Also regarding removing solder, is a de-solder pump better than a de-solder braid.
I'll throw in my 0.02 dollars. I have a 3.5 year old boy and I solder in my basement workshop, some people think I'm paranoid about lead but at the end of the day what is more important than your son?

I want to get rid of the lead solder and replace it with lead free, when you solder you can get tiny flecks and splats of solder which stick to your clothes and the bottom of your shoes and you can move them anywhere without knowing, my son plays on the floor and puts his hands in his mouth all the time. If you look up how much lead effects a child, its in the parts per billion (which is the level they measure to now in blood tests), my son weighs 40 pounds which means he will be effected with around 0.00002 grams of lead in his body, it only takes one fleck.

BTW I have been soldering for around 30 years, I'm no noobie.
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:12 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

There's always Bose and stamp collecting.
Otherwise, be careful; think safety.
That's all. Really.
Old 2nd February 2013, 09:08 AM   #14
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I prefer to use 25W soldering irons..something like this:

25W Soldering Iron Type XS (Silicone Cable) : Mains Soldering Irons : Maplin Electronics

A De solder pump is way better than braid I use large and small..the large one is not any good for small spaces, you can get away with a large one on a flat PCB..power desolder is good but probably overkill.
Maplin Electronics

Regards solder..Lead solder is OK if you wash your hands after use...the problem with soldering is the flux fumes are an issue even more so with lead free..the Antex led free solder is OK...it depends what equipment you are using it on.In industry a small extractor is used over the work bench with a Goose neck..this is not realy needed, however I am more cautious with lead free than standard multicore..

Remember that the solder has to suite the metals you are soldering so its not just a case of one type for all..this applies to silver coated component leads etc.

So get a 25W iron and make his life easier...some solder will not melt with 15W even more so with lead free! I would add the reduced heat of the small iron creates more danger not less..because it can slip off when he pushes it onto the workpiece with frustration when the solder won't melt! And boy does it hurt when it makes a hole in your finger!

One other point..you also get fumes from the things you are soldering..like PVC melting etc...also remember PTFE cable can give off dangerous fumes when heated...the next point is soldering sockets or plugs will heat sink the joint and I bet you will get a dry joint with a 15w iron if you can get the joint hot enough quick enough..the trick is high enough heat for a short time before it heat sinks the iron tip less melted plugs or damaged parts..and less dry joints or tracks lifted on strip board.. Please don't use additional flux..if you don't clean it off the joint, it will eat through the copper track...

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 2nd February 2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:11 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

One more thought,

Remember to get a stand with a wet sponge (heat resistant) to clean the iron tip. Lead free solder tends to eat the iron tip away quickly..remember that the tip has a coating on it so once you use emery paper etc to clean it, its going to be no good any longer...some solders are "Savbit...ie they make the iron tip last longer...however without a wet sponge and a stand you will struggle..probably a good idea to fix the stand to a heavy piece of wood they tend to tip over..

The standard tip shoud be good enough for most jobs don't use one thats thinner unless you have to..it eats away faster and the heat transfer is not so good!

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 2nd February 2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:17 AM   #16
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
local infections? long term? seek treatment!! serious.

simple small cuts, apply antibiotic ointment if needed.
no, its gone, no problem
only means that all small cuts you get from the sharp soldered components ends sticking out heals slower than ususal
I expect some 'could' get serious infections from it
I'm just saying, be cautious
not a childs game at all

btw, these days you can get small sucking filters to remove the solder fumes
even if not effective, it might prevent the fumes from being inhaled directly
I don't smoke any more, but when I did it was a pain to smoke right after soldering
tasted like shite, really
but food for thoughts, ehh ?

its like messing with petrol, olis, solvents, and this new kinds of spay stuff, silicone or whatever, nano stuff, etc etc
many people think, 'hey, spray it on, no problem'
highly toxic all of it
dangerous stuff, and one should know how to handle it accordingly

consider it like playing with fire
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:34 AM   #17
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

anyway, whats the point of learning how to solder
anyone can learn to solder in due time, when its needed

if you want to teach electronics to children, use other tools, like those plug in breadboards, dil or sil sockets, clips, etc
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:35 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Yes, can be very dangerous,

Look at the fumes that can also come off the things you solder like PTFE cable..
Thats + the flux..however I am not a fan of the lead free flux either..
I know a few people that said they got warts after a solder burn probably just coincidence..open to infection longer maybe..
This tended to be a deep iron burn more so than the solder..(After the white burn finally heals)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 2nd February 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:42 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

On the point of the solder joint..

At many companies I worked for the component leg was put at 45 Deg to the board reason was the solder was the connection the bend was the mechanical joint..this went even further at the GEC the legs of the parts had to be flat to the board..to stop lacquer penetration and "Aerials for interference and carbon build up"...what a PITA to remove when a fault occurred..That’s when you need experience..+ plated through holes..

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 2nd February 2013, 02:30 PM   #20
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Now all gasoline is free of lead. Years ago tetraethyl lead was added to gas to improve performance. Lead compounds thus came out the exhaust and into the air. It settled on the ground, getting into the soil, and accumulated. AT some point officials discovered that children in some urban areas had extremely high levels of lead in their systems and were baffled as to why. They ruled out eating of paint chips, and ultimately found that the dirt they played in had become toxic. The lead from tailpipes driving down the highway nearby had poisoned the dirt.

Hide this!Advertise here!