Soldering tips!?!? ..wetting problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's another thumbs up for the Cardas solder. Very easy to work with and highly recommended for audio.

An old time favorite of mine is Wonder Solder, primarily because it was so user friendly. For that reason, I can still recommend it, but with a caveat. I recently bought a new sample (not lead free) and had a bad experience with it (no..nada wetting or flowing). I suspect this was an anomaly but I haven't tried another batch since then. But WS is generally well regarded and widely used. At any rate, it might worth a try. Normally/traditionally a very easy to use and good sounding solder.

:)

In what sense? Now expose your reasons :D

My old Weller station, WTCPL, uses the magnetic tip for temp control. When it snaps one way or the other, it can produce a pulse in the tip, so don't go soldering TLO72 OP amps or CMOS with it. When I do, I heat it up, turn it off and wait for the "tick" then I can do several joints safely. Our factory switched to Hexacon, but they just never felt good in the hand. This was 30 years ago, so put it into perspective. Granted, my 600W Weller gun was my fathers and it is over 50 years old. You can solder a ground wire onto a sheet metal TV chassis though!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.