Damping material for acrylic WG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I couldn't find a more appropriate one, so here goes:

I've got some acrylic waveguides for my C12 tweeters, and I'd like to use some kind of damping material on the back side of the waveguide. Any material scientist types that could point me in the right direction, or a forum that might have some expertise in this area? I have some concerns about adhesion to acrylic. And of course I'm thinking of something heavy duty like some kind of clay like substance. Pictures of the waveguide can be found here: Accuton C25-6-012 in a waveguide - Page 2

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Cheers

Nice waveguides.
Not knowing about the properties of 100% silicone but aware
that it would add mass and most likely have some sort of damping effect(most likely shifting resonances downward, hopefully below passband), I would try using clear silicone caulk.

It could be smoothed onto the rear of the waveguide in whatever thickness with a small putty knife and not have the ugly look of putty or bitumen( both of which can degrade plastics).
I have made formed isolation pucks of 100% clear silicone and it does a very good job in that aspect.
Materials experts please feel free to shoot me down, but its just my experience.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.