Adapter for Smaller Driver in Existing Hole

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a 12" driver that I want to put in an existing enclosure with a 12" ID hole. Of course, the driver needs an 11" dia. hole and will just about slide through the existing one. Is there any alternative to making a new face for the box with a new sheet of MDF?

I'd love some sort of adapter, but I can't figure out a sufficiently strong way to make one without a serious woodshop -- that I do not have. :( Premade products that cost less than a new sheet of MDF and labor might be considered.

Thanks!

Temporarily screw a scrap piece of plywood or MDF across the opening from the inside. Screw another piece to it to create a surface that's flush with the baffle. Locate and drill the center. Use a router to enlarge the cutout to clear the new driver. Get two pieces of MDF, clamp or screw them so they're side by side. Cut the new driver opening in this panel. Trim it so it will fit on the backside of the old baffle. Screw and glue or clamp and glue it in place.

Thanks for the answers guys. I think I will go for the plug and cover approach. Like so... [C = MDF Cover, P = MDF Plug, D = Driver, # = Existing]
Code:
###
I.#
n.#C
s.PC
i..D
d..D
e.PC
B.#C
o.#
x##

Since this is a LF driver, there should not be any significance to the shape or edge profile [sharp/round] of the cover since all the wavelengths are vastly longer than 0.75", correct?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
An example of one that Bernie did.

MKwT_woofWT-comp.jpg

A bit more meat to work with than you have -- nominal 6.5 to 4"

Before:

bernie-marKen12-comp.jpg

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.