Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2012, 08:03 PM   #21
Frank40 is offline Frank40  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Marry charisma's and a happy new year to all

I did some progress with project no. 2. I have been trying to make a vacumform membrane with depron, not perfect yet... but getting better. This will not bee a full range, but a bass to mid. The wight of the membrane is only 0.9 gr so there will not be stored much energy in the membrane, giving a potentially fast unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture_354.jpg (690.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Capture_353.jpg (569.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Capture_352.jpg (733.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 28th December 2012, 08:12 PM   #22
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank40 View Post
Thanks for your replays guys, I relay appreciate it.

I have made some new frames for the speaker and as you can see the are not rectangle, also it has not 90 degree corners.
Nice job with the trapezoidal frame Frank! Are you going to put multiple driver coils and motors on it? Looks like you are really taking this to the next level. Good luck.
Old 28th December 2012, 08:16 PM   #23
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank40 View Post
Marry charisma's and a happy new year to all

I did some progress with project no. 2. I have been trying to make a vacumform membrane with depron, not perfect yet... but getting better. This will not bee a full range, but a bass to mid. The wight of the membrane is only 0.9 gr so there will not be stored much energy in the membrane, giving a potentially fast unit.
Tell us more how you made this. Did you make a positive and negative form or just negative form then vacuum form using heat and suction? Looks really nice - almost like a production cone. I have been wondering how to make my own half roll foam rubber surrounds. I have some nice 5 inch drivers with deteriorated foam but places want to sell replacement surrounds for$20/pair - more than I want to spend to repair them. The closest material I have seen are these foam rubber sheets at craft stores that people cut and glue to decorate scrap books with. I just need a half roll forming ring and I guess I could heat it up and press in between. I bet JMFahey knows how to make this.
Old 28th December 2012, 08:27 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

XRK,
What size speaker are you trying to repair? May have a surround for you if it is a 6 1/2"
Old 28th December 2012, 08:43 PM   #25
Frank40 is offline Frank40  Denmark
diyAudio Member

The surroundings I bought, did not make them my self. The membrane is made from a form I made of plastering, using heat gun and vacuum (dust cleaner). The best way to do the vacumforming is to do it in an Owen with holes for the vaccumtubes, but my wife did not allow me to drill som holes in our Owen so I used a heating gun.

I have some ideas for a multi coil unit, the second coil should be used to ad more energy to the coil at high frequency's if the unit cut of to soon. Another application could be to use the coil for feedback, to correct the movement of the membrane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture_355.jpg (596.6 KB, 37 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!