Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Frank40 is offline Frank40  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi to all

Glad to see so many replays, thanks

As you can see I am doing the speaker a bit different, I also want it to be a full-rang unit. For now I only made one prototype and I am amazed how it sound, but of course I will be making another one soon. I did get the magnet and coil from a Monarco SPH 170 C the magnet system is modified with a Faraday ring, and I did manage to skip the spider “simpler is better” that is my believe.

Is there some one of you that has experience in building your own full-range unit, and is there other ways to improve the magnetic-motor, than adding a Faraday ring...I know I can use different kinde of magnetic material.

I am building them for my self and not for commercial purpose use. Some times you need to do some crazy thing, to unlearn what you have been told, not could bee done. That is my motto.
Old 19th December 2012, 07:10 PM   #12
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

JMFahey,
Thank you for sharing your story. Inspiring, actually. I have wondered about making speakers as a business. The paper cone part always seemed to be witchcraft, but must not be because consistent paper cones still are made. Have you thought of other materials like carbon fiber etc.?
Old 19th December 2012, 07:16 PM   #13
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank40 View Post
Hi to all

Glad to see so many replays, thanks

As you can see I am doing the speaker a bit different, I also want it to be a full-rang unit. For now I only made one prototype and I am amazed how it sound, but of course I will be making another one soon. I did get the magnet and coil from a Monarco SPH 170 C the magnet system is modified with a Faraday ring, and I did manage to skip the spider “simpler is better” that is my believe.

Is there some one of you that has experience in building your own full-range unit, and is there other ways to improve the magnetic-motor, than adding a Faraday ring...I know I can use different kinde of magnetic material.

I am building them for my self and not for commercial purpose use. Some times you need to do some crazy thing, to unlearn what you have been told, not could bee done. That is my motto.
I would buy a big fat Nd magnet, several and place multiple voice coils along membrane. I think from the planar speaker forums, you don't want a rectangle as it has undesirable standing wave modes. Make it a slight trapezoid and reinforce it with thin aluminum foil bonded on with varnish to stiffen. Probably 3 voice coil and magnets along length. I am just thinking aloud here.
Looks like fun and wish you luck.
Old 20th December 2012, 06:53 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi xrk971, I am glad if I has inspired you...

Your absolutely correct, I need to have a non rectangle membrane. I use depron as material for my membrane is has a high degree of damping and works great. I might try to do a "normal" cone with it some time, but for now I have my work cut out for me. I have worked with fiberglass and carbonfiber so it might be worth to try that.

Last edited by Frank40; 20th December 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 20th December 2012, 08:49 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Frank,
I helped a friend who was working on a small desktop flat panel speaker and the diaphragm was made of Kapton. It isn't an easy material to work with as it doesn't like to be folded or bent but it can be done. I am not familiar with the Depron but perhaps they are similar. Part of the secret to making it sound better was to make sure that the voicecoil was offset from the middle to have different path lengths to the edges to minimize standing waves in the diaphragm. I think that shape was more rectangular but with rounded corners. I never heard the final device myself but my friend who I consulted to said it was decent for an inexpensive speaker.

Steven
Old 21st December 2012, 05:55 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks Kindhornman, sounds like a good idea.

Dose anyone know what type of steel is used for the magnetic pol.
Old 21st December 2012, 06:01 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Frank,
The most common steel to use in the magnetic circuit is 1008 steel. Here in the US that is very hard to find and you can substitute 1215 steel and have similar properties of very low carbon content. I best steels are called electrical steel and these are very low carbon and other trace elements are controlled also. I think here in the US a company named Carpenter Steel has these materials. Good luck with your project.

Steven
Old 21st December 2012, 07:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks Steven
Old 22nd December 2012, 05:03 AM   #19
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

For the center pole I use 10L14 steel , it comes raw in cold drawn bars, 20 Ft long.
It also has low carbon content, but the important advantage is that when turning it produces scrap in short "scales" and is sort of self-lubricated, the mix contains a little lead, while simple low carbon steel (SAE 1008, 1010, etc.) produce long curls which mess the lathe, get caught by the moving parts, etc. ; lathe guys *hate* them.
For the flat disks I go to scrap iron dealers who buy and cut old ships , best source for tons (literally) of low carbon steel for peanuts.
They sell it cheap because "nobody wants it", being the weakest mechanically.
I have the disks roughly cut with an oxygen torch, then the lathe guy finishes them.
Being used ship stuff, when I buy them they are very rusty.
No problem at all, because I always remove a couple mm anyway.
After turning, my disks are shiny bright just machined iron, and must be soldered to the frame and zinc plated asap.
Old 22nd December 2012, 02:06 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your replays guys, I relay appreciate it.

I have made some new frames for the speaker and as you can see the are not rectangle, also it has not 90 degree corners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture_352.jpg (819.5 KB, 57 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!