Speaker unit from Scratch, anyone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Marry charisma's and a happy new year to all

I did some progress with project no. 2. I have been trying to make a vacumform membrane with depron, not perfect yet... but getting better. This will not bee a full range, but a bass to mid. The wight of the membrane is only 0.9 gr so there will not be stored much energy in the membrane, giving a potentially fast unit.

Attachments

• Capture_354.jpg
    Capture_354.jpg
    690 KB · Views: 104
  • Capture_353.jpg
    Capture_353.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Capture_352.jpg
    Capture_352.jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 99
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for your replays guys, I relay appreciate it.

I have made some new frames for the speaker and as you can see the are not rectangle, also it has not 90 degree corners.

Nice job with the trapezoidal frame Frank! Are you going to put multiple driver coils and motors on it? Looks like you are really taking this to the next level. Good luck.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Marry charisma's and a happy new year to all

I did some progress with project no. 2. I have been trying to make a vacumform membrane with depron, not perfect yet... but getting better. This will not bee a full range, but a bass to mid. The wight of the membrane is only 0.9 gr so there will not be stored much energy in the membrane, giving a potentially fast unit.

Tell us more how you made this. Did you make a positive and negative form or just negative form then vacuum form using heat and suction? Looks really nice - almost like a production cone. I have been wondering how to make my own half roll foam rubber surrounds. I have some nice 5 inch drivers with deteriorated foam but places want to sell replacement surrounds for$20/pair - more than I want to spend to repair them. The closest material I have seen are these foam rubber sheets at craft stores that people cut and glue to decorate scrap books with. I just need a half roll forming ring and I guess I could heat it up and press in between. I bet JMFahey knows how to make this. :)

The surroundings I bought, did not make them my self. The membrane is made from a form I made of plastering, using heat gun and vacuum (dust cleaner). The best way to do the vacumforming is to do it in an Owen with holes for the vaccumtubes, but my wife did not allow me to drill som holes in our Owen:eek: so I used a heating gun.

I have some ideas for a multi coil unit, the second coil should be used to ad more energy to the coil at high frequency's if the unit cut of to soon. Another application could be to use the coil for feedback, to correct the movement of the membrane.

Attachments

• Capture_355.jpg
    Capture_355.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 78
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.