Looking for good ways to learn more about audio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello and thanks for having me.

I am new to the world diy audio, but I am super excited about building my own system. At this point I need help about how to learn more.

I am working on a bluetooth art deco radio. I have the bluetooth pairing/audio streaming working, and now need to build the speaker/amplifier. I know next to nothing about the subject, so I was looking at books as a way of figuring out my next steps. I was hoping for feedback on if they look complete. Here are the 2 finalists:

Designing Audio Power Amplifiers: Bob Cordell: 9780071640244: Amazon.com: Books
The Audiophile's Project Sourcebook: 80 High-Performance Audio Electronics Projects: G. Randy Slone: 0639785330820: Amazon.com: Books

I am totally open to other ideas.

Thanks ahead of time.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Bob Cordells book is a must read. So too, Douglas Selfs books on power amplifier design (and the one on small signal circuitry is excellent too)

Randy Slones' books I'm not really familiar with but seem to recall hearing that some of the projects can be troublesome. Maybe others have direct experience there.

But Cordell and Self are must haves.

Oh and welcome to the forums :)

Hi,

Welcome. Like most subjects, you learn the most by tracing the history
of the subject, rather than diving in the deep end of current knowledge.

For an Art Deco radio you hardly need to be an expert on current
amplifier or speaker design, vintage audio design could be useful.

That is of course, if you are after a vintage sound ;).

There is a lot of online stuff, you can can find PDF's of allsorts.

Unfortunately, no one book or thing that can lead you through the maze.
Which is a bit sad, you do have to work the right things out for yourself.

(There is far more misinformation about Audio out there than real stuff.)

Look for some enthusiastic, explanatory sites or articles about vintage stuff.
The best sites analyse good commercial designs, not amateur stuff.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I ordered Bob Cordell's book.

@sreten Thanks for the advice, but i think I was misleading. I don't want to build an old tube radio, but rather a new bluetooth streaming stereo, housed in an art deco styled case. I have to audio source part , now i just need to take that signal and make it sound great.

Thanks for all the advice however. This site is great!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.