Don't do what they do in china! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2012, 09:55 AM   #11
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've deleted several posts that violate the "no politics" rule.
Old 12th December 2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Junie is offline Junie  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
What, you expect everyone to be educated on electrical safety? For the average person voltage and current don't matter one bit and it's no surprise that when asked to choose the right cord they get it wrong, given the opportunity. Would you insist everyone took a class on basic electronics? Would that ever happen? And what about children who still have to use household appliances?

I don't think it's "sad" at all for the average person not to understand basic electronics. I think that's a ridiculous suggestion. Neither children nor anyone else else should be at risk simply because they have to choose which cord to plug in and one of them will cause a fire.

This happen quite a lot, a good example are the protoypes massage chair we have came from Japan which having 100V supply voltage. I set up a few, put a step-down trasnformer each machine and each AC cord I put a label 100V only but still some MORONS inserted the plug to 220V..why the hell on earth some people cannot understand the basic principle of electricity?
Old 12th December 2012, 12:23 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

It surprises me that there is no international standard plug for medium power, low voltage applications. With the growth in people running off-grid homes, powered from renewable energy and a 48V large battery pack, a suitable safe plug/socket combination is needed to cope with (say) 48V at up to 20A. I don't know of any easily available plug/socket combinations, that can also cope with the sort of abuse that normal 115/230V ac mains plugs and sockets can tolerate.
Old 12th December 2012, 05:37 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
It surprises me that there is no international standard plug for medium power, low voltage applications. With the growth in people running off-grid homes, powered from renewable energy and a 48V large battery pack, a suitable safe plug/socket combination is needed to cope with (say) 48V at up to 20A. I don't know of any easily available plug/socket combinations, that can also cope with the sort of abuse that normal 115/230V ac mains plugs and sockets can tolerate.
Did you check with suppliers for the marine or farm irrigation industry? I have found some less expensive 250A switches as marine surplus.

In general you don't have carry around and plug in applications for off grid appliances, I guess a 48V electric chain saw would be nice. I wanted to turn a used 12V winch into a log splitter, 900A peak draw .
Old 12th December 2012, 05:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

The wife plugged my 110v KitchenAid blender into the 220v outlet and cooked it.

In my kitchen - in China.

The woman is completely clueless about electricity. That said she was the lead attorney on the Palabora mine buyout by Hebei Iron & Steel this month, so everyone has their knack shall we say....
Old 19th December 2012, 05:13 PM   #16
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Agree.
That's why I firmly stand by the idea that labels are *NOT* enough, different voltage plugs and sockets should be made in such a different and incompatible way, that it becomes *impossible* to plug them wrong, even forcing them.
It's not a "woman" thing (although it explains at least some of it ) , but a *human* one.
As another example: every year I visit neighbouring Brazil's "Expo Música", a huge NAMM style event.
Now Brazil has some cities with 110V , and some with 220V, so most stuff sold there is bivolt, with the proper switch very visible in the front or back panel, because a traveling Musician must switch often.
Expo Música is set in the middle of São Paulo, a 18 million people city which runs on 110V everywhere between its limits.
Expo Música is 220V , with NO warning labels visible
They *should* have a BIG postcard in every access, very visible, stating "YOU ARE ENTERING A 220V AREA" .... but none of that.
Their (stupid) theory is that the guys who install stands there already know it, and use 220V lights, air conditioning, etc .
Fine, but what about the public?
A friend of mine went to play there, happily plugged his 110V VOX AVT100 (or some similar name) and instantly burnt it.
And people working there told me it was an epidemic of burnt Guitar stuff.
My friend was lucky that I was visiting him, so I had to go downtown and buy a cheap multimeter, soldering gun, assorted cheap screwdrivers and tools, to repair it.
Double lucky because I could get the fried Sanken or STK power module.
Oh well.
Old 26th December 2012, 11:36 AM   #17
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

If I saw an IEC receptacle on something like an ebike, I'd assume it was because it had a built-in charger that accepted AC line voltage. Which is a pretty reasonable thing to have on an ebike.

I'm trying to choose a good connector to use with 12V devices. The standard lighter plug is bulky, and it makes a poor connection: run 4 amps through it and they get hot. Jones connectors would be better, but the ideal connection would be weather resistant as well.

Last edited by dangus; 26th December 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 26th December 2012, 12:34 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

anderson power poles, 30 or 45 amp variants.

Use the ham standard method of alignment.
Quote:
For use in amateur radio, the community has adopted a standard polarity for assembling the Singlepole connectors, using one red and one black housing, as well as a mnemonic for remembering the arrangement for the positive connector: Red Right—Tongue Top. The ham standard is nominal 12 volts (actually 13.8 volts), with red positive and black negative.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Powerpole

Last edited by freax; 26th December 2012 at 12:40 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!