Best way for novice to learn to build amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One my kick the bucket list items is to learn how to build my own stereo equipment. I live in Southwest Missouri and I am unable to find any schools that provide training in basic electronics. The only thing have found on the internet is a weekend program in Chicago that teaches you how to build a tube amp.

I am open to any suggestions from books, hands-on training, on-line training or anyone who is a diyer locally who might share their experiences with me.

I look forward to anyone's suggestions/thoughts.

Thanks for your help.

Taipan

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Start HERE for soldering tutorials there are three parts, this guy is comical.

Then check out a well known kit like the Audio Sector LM4780 or the BrianGT LM3886.
Both have A LOT of support on this site.
I am more than willing to guide you though the Audio Sector LM4780.
These kits are well documented and easy peasy!

The best training is the training that is suitable for your basic knowledge. There are pre requisites before we can learn some topics effectively. So it is good if you explain what you already know, your education background (whether you know Ohm law at all or not).

Many people don't know how to make a power supply even reading/measuring resistance. By building a chip amp (aka gainclone) we learn about power supply, a little bit about feedback, a boucherot/zobel and all the basic things including cabling/building.

If the above is too simple, building a one stage class-A mosfet amp (aka Zens) while reading its documentations might also help.

The best option is of course a specialized training. When you join the tube building training, you will meet people who will teach you or answer your questions or even show you directions. So it is probably more beneficial than you might think.

Einric--thanks very much for your quick response. I will look into the kits you suggested and get back to you. I am familiar with Peter Daniel's equipment. I purchased a DAC from him 5 year or so back. Again, thanks so much for your willingness to help me. Taipan

Jay-- Thank your quick response and willingness to try to help me. i see you are from Jakarta. I lived in Singapore about 2 1/2 years and also support Asia from the US and would travel to Indonesia and the countries in the region.

You asked about my training. My training is in Human Resources. My hobby is stereo equipment. My experience has been purchasing a couple of pc boards from Hong Kong. I would source the caps, resistors and other components and then would soldier them on the board. I would then have a friend complete the project. We build a Jadis preamp and Krell amp. I have also changed out caps and resistors on some speaker XO's.

Now that I moved to Missouri I am want to learn how to build my own amps, pre-amps and speakers.

Last week I ordered a basic headphone amp from Bottlehead. It appears to be a good basic kit and looks as it has from detailed instructions.

I was very interested in your last statement. You mentioned the "tube building training". Is this part of the DIY website? How do you join?

Jay, thanks again so much for responding to my note and trying to help me.

Taipan

Hi Taipan, with the tube building training I was referring to the weekend program you mentioned (in Chicago). I have never joined that off course. What I meant was that if that is the only training you have access to, then I believe you will learn a lot by joining in.

I don't know about US geography. Don't know if Chicago is close or far from your location. Pass Labs has that Amp Camp, but I think it is far from your location.

Training is a very powerful tool to learn new things quickly and effectively, especially with good trainers.

You seem to have some experiences in building amps. But electronics is a wide subject. If you have to learn without joining a training you will usually have to find answer for question by question. It surely is a lengthy process. I think (if you find very hard) on the internet there is a tutorial how to use LTSpice to design (designing is more advanced than building) an amp. If there is someone who can guide you in using LTSpice (it will be very difficult for most), it will be a quicker path in achieving what you want to achieve.

Springfield has colleges, some may have EE/EET programs
Kansas City, Rolla, Fayettville have Unis with EE programs, but could still be 100 mi drives in various directions

online course are growing, some free from the big names - MIT has a online intro EE class https://6002x.mitx.mit.edu/

but all of that could be a lot of work

plenty of strictly hobbyist sites

Elliott Sound Products - The Audio Pages (Main Index) - projects, some theory, "debunking" - some of the things Rod posts make experienced EEs cringe - but he is more often right than many "audiophile" sites

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
stay away from boards and kits
for learning its the wrong end of the stick

start with a simple 1watt chip amp, and a 9V battery
then build a charger for it
and so on

continue with active filter, and a few more amps
and you can complete it with a small scale active speaker using old television speakers:D

all info can be found on google
actually, learning how and what to search could be more important

CSOM, thanks very much for responding to my request. The website was great. Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated. ........... Greg

Err..., the link was originally posted by JCX, I just seconded that. So mine is the "reflected glory" here, Anyway, thank you Greg

Also, as tinitus aptly suggested, "start with a simple 1watt chip amp, and a 9V battery then build a charger for it and so on". ... very wise words. It might save you from many initial hassles.

Working with a PSU without proper experience could be dangerous if connected wrongly. And experience will give you confidence and competence and a much needed awareness of safety, after "the first flutter" is over, to attempt some more ambitious projects.

I had stopped building my DIY Amps some 10+ years ago and I always failed to achieve the true professional result at that point of time. Then I moved on to different commercial audio systems and I was happier until I realized "something" was lacking there too. I was not 100% satisfied with various (and costly) commercial products available in my locality.

So I took resort to DIY again. And I then found companions - Internet and some amazing fora like Diyaudio.com

First I built some ultra low cost low wattage chip amp ( like LM386, TDA2822, TDA2009) following the official datasheet on perf boards again for a test, just to brush up my long forgotton "knowledge and skill"( if any, hehe). And yes, I used a 9v battery for the first power up.

And now, regarding my current project, even if I, in no way belong to the audiophile category, can safely say that they do so clearly reproduce a sound/music that I never ever heard with commercially available products I used earlier in my whole life. I guess It would not be an exaggeration to say that I am rediscovering music at this age with a new dimension with my personal DIY project.

The system might not be financially feasible to a great extent but the scope you get to tweak and optimize to obtain the purely pristine sound to suit your personal taste is unparalleled and sure CAN outperform most of the commercial products. And more the system is easily repairable as it is made by you!

All the very best and merry Christmas!

Hope this post does not sound like self propaganda :p

Attachments

• LM386 and TDA2009 on a vero board.jpg
    LM386 and TDA2009 on a vero board.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their help. I have been looking for over a year on how to best learn electronics and building my own equipment. It has been frustrating. I have been trying to find local and/or on-line training programs to help me learn but have not found the right program yet. I appreciate SOFASPUD suggestion of CIT. I will checkout this program.

The only program I have found yet is the following class in Chicago which is a 3 day program on how to learn to build a tube amp. I have thought about doing the class but it is expensive to me ($2,370). The class, transportation, lodging, etc. would cost me around $3,000 for the weekend training program.

http://www.specimenproducts.com/classes-seminars/class-schedule/?ee=18

Thanks to TINITUS and CMOS for their comments. I am now rethinking my approach to learn to build audio equipment.

Three weeks ago I purchased the Bottlehead Crack headphone amp. Thinking this was a good way to start learning.

Thanks again for everyones thoughts. It is greatly appreciated. Any further thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be checking Google for a chip amp as TINITUS has suggested. If anyone has a suggestion on a chip amp on google, please let me know.

Thanks again for everyone for there help.

Greg

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Three weeks ago I purchased the Bottlehead Crack headphone amp.

please save it 'a few months' ;)

If anyone has a suggestion on a chip amp on google, please let me know.

386 ?
nothing special ....http://www.runoffgroove.com/littlegem.html

but its not connected to mains voltage
you can poke around all you want witout fear
and its cheap and easy to repair

later you might even be able to turn it into a quite nice head amp

but remember to build a charger for it
then you will also learn how it works with mains voltage ;)

a good simple preamp/buffer ? sure, why not...and learn how those dammed pots are wired :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.