Best way for novice to learn to build amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2012, 10:58 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Cleveland Institute of Electronics has been around for ages and has this online course for basic electronics.
Old 15th December 2012, 11:13 AM   #12
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

stay away from boards and kits
for learning its the wrong end of the stick

start with a simple 1watt chip amp, and a 9V battery
then build a charger for it
and so on

continue with active filter, and a few more amps
and you can complete it with a small scale active speaker using old television speakers

all info can be found on google
actually, learning how and what to search could be more important
Old 15th December 2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Taipan is offline Taipan  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks CSOM

CSOM, thanks very much for responding to my request. The website was great. Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated. I use to live in Hong Kong and Singapore and had the opportunity to travel to India several times. Greg
Old 15th December 2012, 02:35 PM   #14
6speed is offline 6speed  United States
diyAudio Member

If you haven't already checked it out on this site check out the recent "amp camp" article. It's a project intended as a first time and fun project. There's also the wonderful de-lite articles.
Old 15th December 2012, 08:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Thank You 6 Speed

6 Speed thanks for the information. Greatly appreciated.

Greg
Old 16th December 2012, 06:51 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
CSOM, thanks very much for responding to my request. The website was great. Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated. ........... Greg
Err..., the link was originally posted by JCX, I just seconded that. So mine is the "reflected glory" here, Anyway, thank you Greg

Also, as tinitus aptly suggested, "start with a simple 1watt chip amp, and a 9V battery then build a charger for it and so on". ... very wise words. It might save you from many initial hassles.

Working with a PSU without proper experience could be dangerous if connected wrongly. And experience will give you confidence and competence and a much needed awareness of safety, after "the first flutter" is over, to attempt some more ambitious projects.

I had stopped building my DIY Amps some 10+ years ago and I always failed to achieve the true professional result at that point of time. Then I moved on to different commercial audio systems and I was happier until I realized "something" was lacking there too. I was not 100% satisfied with various (and costly) commercial products available in my locality.

So I took resort to DIY again. And I then found companions - Internet and some amazing fora like Diyaudio.com

First I built some ultra low cost low wattage chip amp ( like LM386, TDA2822, TDA2009) following the official datasheet on perf boards again for a test, just to brush up my long forgotton "knowledge and skill"( if any, hehe). And yes, I used a 9v battery for the first power up.

And now, regarding my current project, even if I, in no way belong to the audiophile category, can safely say that they do so clearly reproduce a sound/music that I never ever heard with commercially available products I used earlier in my whole life. I guess It would not be an exaggeration to say that I am rediscovering music at this age with a new dimension with my personal DIY project.

The system might not be financially feasible to a great extent but the scope you get to tweak and optimize to obtain the purely pristine sound to suit your personal taste is unparalleled and sure CAN outperform most of the commercial products. And more the system is easily repairable as it is made by you!

All the very best and merry Christmas!

Hope this post does not sound like self propaganda :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LM386 and TDA2009 on a vero board.jpg (489.1 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by csom; 16th December 2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 16th December 2012, 02:07 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone for their help. I have been looking for over a year on how to best learn electronics and building my own equipment. It has been frustrating. I have been trying to find local and/or on-line training programs to help me learn but have not found the right program yet. I appreciate SOFASPUD suggestion of CIT. I will checkout this program.

The only program I have found yet is the following class in Chicago which is a 3 day program on how to learn to build a tube amp. I have thought about doing the class but it is expensive to me ($2,370). The class, transportation, lodging, etc. would cost me around $3,000 for the weekend training program.

http://www.specimenproducts.com/clas...chedule/?ee=18

Thanks to TINITUS and CMOS for their comments. I am now rethinking my approach to learn to build audio equipment.

Three weeks ago I purchased the Bottlehead Crack headphone amp. Thinking this was a good way to start learning.

Thanks again for everyones thoughts. It is greatly appreciated. Any further thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be checking Google for a chip amp as TINITUS has suggested. If anyone has a suggestion on a chip amp on google, please let me know.

Thanks again for everyone for there help.

Greg
Old 16th December 2012, 02:34 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

A great introductory book is:

The Art of Electronics, by Paul Horowitz

Before enrolling in a course, I suggest you study this book.

This is a readable and lovely book. I learned more from this than an introductory university course.
Old 16th December 2012, 02:47 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Another good site is TE Index for website
Very informative. Please have a look.
Old 16th December 2012, 02:53 PM   #20
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Three weeks ago I purchased the Bottlehead Crack headphone amp.
please save it 'a few months'

Quote:
If anyone has a suggestion on a chip amp on google, please let me know.
386 ?
nothing special ....http://www.runoffgroove.com/littlegem.html

but its not connected to mains voltage
you can poke around all you want witout fear
and its cheap and easy to repair

later you might even be able to turn it into a quite nice head amp

but remember to build a charger for it
then you will also learn how it works with mains voltage

a good simple preamp/buffer ? sure, why not...and learn how those dammed pots are wired

Hide this!Advertise here!