Beginner needing guidance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

This is my first post here!!

Well, I’m planning to build amplifiers.

But, as I’m planning to do it right, I’ll build a rectifier and a filter for the power, otherwise I’ll probably have lots of distortions.

As I don’t have a good knowledge of electronics yet (I'm a sophomore in college), I’ll begin by building already designed circuits. And I need to know how to measure the distortion, the harmonics (and if there are other measures, please comment) of a circuit. I don’t know if the methods are the same for amplifiers, rectifiers and filters. And please don’t say that I’ll need to buy those expensive equipment... :(

About the options that I have for rectifiers, I’ve seen a projects with op-amp in feedback, is it good for audio?

And do you know any website, book, article, anything that you’d suggest for a beginner? (e.g. Decibel Dungeon)

Thank you in advance.

And I need to know how to measure the distortion, the harmonics (and if there are other measures, please comment) of a circuit.

As a beginner, you should focus on building amplifiers that actually work. As far as measurements, quiescent currents and output offset voltages should be your focus. Once mastering this, you can focus on distortion.

Chip amps are great for beginners, but you still need to be vigilant for oscillation, instability, and noise pickup. Build one and debug it and you'll learn a lot.

You can check for oscillation without a scope. High pass filter- high frequency sample and hold- VOM will tell you if it's oscillating or not. ;) And use a zobel network whether your circuit calls for one or not.

Thank you all for the replies!!

I've found the book that DF96 indicated me. It's great, but i'll need some time to read it, fortunately my vacation is near.

About the chip amps, i'll probably build one to get some experience. But my goal is to design amps, or at least analyse already designed ones, and try to improve it.

And thank you, Fast Eddie D, for your construction tips!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.