Good soldering technique - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2012, 06:46 PM   #1
MGH is offline MGH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Good soldering technique

Hi all, I'm about to start a tube amp build using point to wiring. I'm a novice so I researched different soldering technique. I understand establishing a good mechanical contact between wires is the way to go before the solder is applied. IOW, the solder should not be the primary signal conductor. However, I've seen people twisting the two wires together allowing multiple mechanical contacts before soldering, while other use a single point contact. Can anyone tell me if the sound is affected by the type of mechanical contact or contacts? Any other good alternative (soldering or other method) to get best sound? Thanks.
Old 4th November 2012, 08:40 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Good mechanical contact before soldering leads to reliability, but it is unlikely to affect sound either way if the soldered joint is good.
Old 4th November 2012, 09:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGH View Post
Can anyone tell me if the sound is affected by the type of mechanical contact or contacts? Any other good alternative (soldering or other method) to get best sound? Thanks.
Unless you do a really bad job, the sound won't be affected one way or another.

What can be affected is reliability - a well constructed joint will serve you well forever.

See page 80 onwards of http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/codeq/doctree/87394.pdf for an excellent guide to cable splicing - if it's good enough for NASA, it's good enough for your amp ;o)
Old 5th November 2012, 12:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeekerr View Post
Unless you do a really bad job, the sound won't be affected one way or another.

What can be affected is reliability - a well constructed joint will serve you well forever.

See page 80 onwards of http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/codeq/doctree/87394.pdf for an excellent guide to cable splicing - if it's good enough for NASA, it's good enough for your amp ;o)
And for 2 conductor I use an offset lap splice so 1 heat shrink covers both splices. Offset I use is 2 length of the lap meaning 2-2.5 inches for 2 conductors with 1/2" lap. It looks better than multiple shrink layers.

I used lash splices with heat shrink for the 240 Volt feed into the the oven replacement a few years ago.

G
Old 7th November 2012, 04:48 AM   #5
MGH is offline MGH  United States
diyAudio Member

thank you all for the informative tips and link.
Old 7th November 2012, 04:52 AM   #6
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

maybe try 'you tube'

Hide this!Advertise here!