Successful Cat5e Cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Made the move to Cat5e . My fingers are sore,and typing a llittle diificult, however as I sit here, John Scofield's A Go Go sounds so more complete. I am unable to put it into words, but my soundstage got wider, cleaner and no loss of bottom end. I'm running 12ga 513 strand to the sub and Cat5e to my 2ways. I'm went for the 24ga, 4 way twisted lay pattern as per the Speaker Cable Shootout 3. It took time to get things going, however I'm down to 45 mins to build a 10' (9'4") cable. With a good stripper and fast fingers all went well. I'm experimenting with the terminations and will decide later as I'm building an active 3 way horn loaded system, with the Cat5 for the mids and tweets, and go with 10/4 ga stranded for the woofs and subs. I believe that Cat5e has more than proven itself to me and @ 28 cents /ft you can't go wrong. 2S2P

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I made these mostly from surplus CAT3. They are not as stiff as one might expect.

Attachments

• CAT3 cable.JPG
    CAT3 cable.JPG
    373.3 KB · Views: 419
DIY CAT5

Believe everything you hear (excuse the pun) -or should I say everything you read.
2sick2pray has said it all - including the 'sore fingers'..but is it worth the effort? You will have to find out for yourself.

I also made the switch to CAT5 courtesy and support of Ray Van De Steen.

Attachments

• diy CAT5.JPG
    diy CAT5.JPG
    749.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Finished CAT5.JPG
    Finished CAT5.JPG
    740.4 KB · Views: 274
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.