amp without any ic's? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2012, 08:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default amp without any ic's?

Sorry for another complete noob question, but if ya dont ask ya dont know....

Is it possible to build a amplifier without using any chips... I have a huge box of bits, most of which i have no idea on what they are or what they do.

Transisters, diod's, caps and resisters and a load of bits i havn't quite worked out yet... Seems a shame to have em all and not be using them.

I just like to have a go at stuff, just to see if i can make it work. Plus it helps me to try and understand schematics. As you can tell i'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to electronics, but always had a strange attraction to it.

I wanted to be an electrical engineer when i was a lad, but as i'm red, green and brown colour blind i never got the oppertunity to do anything about it. Now mid life crisis has set in and i'm doing the stuff i want to do.
Old 11th September 2012, 09:03 PM   #2
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

you can built and amplifier with just one transistor and few resistors (you may need capacitors on the input/output, but in balanced mode you can avoid it)...see sun for zen amp by nelson pass, probably the simples seriously good sounding amp I build
Old 11th September 2012, 09:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks i'll look it up
Old 14th September 2012, 06:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If you want to build something that sounds decent a box of parts probably wont cut it but if you just want to do a little project for fun you may be able to pull it off. Building a quality amplifier is going to require components of specific value that you aren't likely to have.

If i were you I would check out the LM3886 or similar. It's an amplifier IC that can be had for cheap, or even free, and I'd bet you have the few components that are required to make it work. Plus this thing will sound more than good enough to actually use.
Old 20th September 2012, 06:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Smile 3886 i c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
If you want to build something that sounds decent a box of parts probably wont cut it but if you just want to do a little project for fun you may be able to pull it off. Building a quality amplifier is going to require components of specific value that you aren't likely to have.

If i were you I would check out the LM3886 or similar. It's an amplifier IC that can be had for cheap, or even free, and I'd bet you have the few components that are required to make it work. Plus this thing will sound more than good enough to actually use.
Applesauce where can I obtain those I.C.'s? Here in South Africa we battle to get some components Who makes it?
Old 20th September 2012, 06:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default fun in building

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerick View Post
Sorry for another complete noob question, but if ya dont ask ya dont know....

Is it possible to build a amplifier without using any chips... I have a huge box of bits, most of which i have no idea on what they are or what they do.

Transisters, diod's, caps and resisters and a load of bits i havn't quite worked out yet... Seems a shame to have em all and not be using them.

I just like to have a go at stuff, just to see if i can make it work. Plus it helps me to try and understand schematics. As you can tell i'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to electronics, but always had a strange attraction to it.
Littlerick I saw some of the comments but I.C's really took the "fun" out they are just little "black boxes" that somebody made for you. Okay I.C.'s work out a lot cheaper Maybe this is the main reason that guys go BACK TO VALVES !!?

I wanted to be an electrical engineer when i was a lad, but as i'm red, green and brown colour blind i never got the oppertunity to do anything about it. Now mid life crisis has set in and i'm doing the stuff i want to do.
Chips make it simple but all the fun is gone somebody else did all the work. I agree that one transistor cost as much as a whole amp .......but what happened to the fun? Maybe this is the main reason why the D.I.Y. brigade go back to tubes or valves. All that chassis bashing soldering with a bolt on a spirits lamp fluxite the smell of burning ebonite OH THOSE WERE the days my friend (pun intended) It took a lot of weekends to build a twenty watt per channel EL34 outputs stereo amp with a pre-amp on a chassis 0.5 meter by 1,5 meters by 100 millimetres two millimetres thick steel chassis transformers that need a lift truck to be carted around blisters from handling them hot bottles. Colour blind? When I was an apprentice there was an engineer colour blind he used a tester all day to identify resistors. This was fifty years ago!

Last edited by krokkenoster; 20th September 2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: computer fail to add my comment
Old 25th September 2012, 07:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokkenoster View Post
Applesauce where can I obtain those I.C.'s? Here in South Africa we battle to get some components Who makes it?
The LM3886 is being produced by Texas Instruments. Take a look around the internet, they're fairly common. You may even be able to get samples from TI.

Hide this!Advertise here!