quietest CPU heatsink for mosfets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to heatsink some mosfets and other components and I was wondering what the quietest cpu cooler would be. I'm assuming that heat pipes are a no-no because of the temperature range and they're probably just overkill. I just want the quietest set-up possible. And does anyone have a papst fan? I hear they're super quiet.

Try this site,

FrostyTech - Best Heat Sinks & PC Cooling Reviews

Last time I checked Xigmatek has some of the best heat sinks for the money.
Such as the Aegir,Gaia and Loki,

With very good dissipation factor as low as .3 w/c and .15 w/c or so.

I had looked into this a while back and just one could handle like 200 to 300 watts of dissipation I forget the exact numbers.
And won't break the bank like a extruded heatsink would.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2665&page=6

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2665&page=7

and the noise level chart,

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2665&page=5

jer :)

Last edited:
If you can settle with the fan noise which is not very much sometimes a stock P4 is rated at 89watts and Intel's larger ones are rated at about 125watts and stock AMD's are 150 watts considering a temp of the CPU of under 50 to 60 degrees celsius or so.

I once knew of an older site that rated all of the older CPU heatsink's of yesteryear but I don't have that link at the moment.
I used to be able to find P4 stock heatsinks for $5 but I think they all got bought up very quickly!

Try this site,

I had looked into this a while back and just one could handle like 200 to 300 watts of dissipation I forget the exact numbers.

Corsair AMD Heatsink Temperature Comparisons - Hydro H100 FrostyTech Review

Corsair Intel Heatsink Temperature Comparison - Hydro H100 FrostyTech Review

Corsair Acoustic Sample and Heatsink Sound Levels - Hydro H100 FrostyTech Review

P.S I miss typed w/c and should be C/W

Try this site,

Corsair AMD Heatsink Temperature Comparisons - Hydro H100 FrostyTech Review

Corsair Intel Heatsink Temperature Comparison - Hydro H100 FrostyTech Review

Corsair Acoustic Sample and Heatsink Sound Levels - Hydro H100 FrostyTech Review

Hmm, good info with the sound level comparison chart there. I might be able to just ditch the fans altogether and put the cooling fins on the outside of the case.
BTW, I'm trying to dissipate up to 50-100 watts of heat on the highest volume settings - typical power dissipation would be much lower, so if I do choose to use a fan, it would automatically turn off when not needed.
But has anyone used a papst fan? They claim 10-19 dBa of fan noise for an 80mm fan:
Variofan 8412NGMLV, PAPST 8cm Ultra-Quiet Case Fan, 10db (A) ~19db(A) 400000003818 | eBay
Is that a typo or something?

You can get a Heatsink and Fan for less than that.
Check out some of these,

Newegg.com - CPU Coolers, CPU Fans, CPU Heatsinks

I have this one on my overclocked P4,

Newegg.com - TR2TT TR2-M12 80mm Ball CPU Cooler

And I can barely here it and it was one of the more highly rated heatsinks for the P4 for overclocking.
The P4 is no slouch for producing heat when it come to overclocking and I haven't had any issues yet with it.
It is a bit pricey but I didn't pay that much for mine 5 years ago.

I'm sure that a pair of the cheaper $5 to $7 ones would do very good for you.
As FET's and BJT's and such are at least 3 to 4 times more tolerant to heat than a CPU is.
And you can vari the speed of any dc fan.
You would be surprised as to what a big difference that even just the littlest amount of air flow can do.

The lower the C/W factor the better it will be.
This factor can be hard to find at time which is why I mentioned Xigmatec as they are one of the few companies that publish such specs.

Typically the older style heatsinks are in the .45 C/W to .65 C/W or so, with the higher range more common.
That TTR2 is more in the .45 C/W range and is why it cost more besides the fact that it is all copper.

These ones will get you more in too the 100watt to 150 watt range and still maintain a 20db to 35db noise level and even less if you reduce the fan speed,

Newegg.com - SilenX EFZ-80HA3 80mm 3rd generation fluid dynamic bearing Effizio CPU Cooler

Newegg.com - EVERCOOL HPFA-10025 100mm Ever Lubricate CPU Cooler (Buffalo for AMD)

Newegg.com - Thermaltake CLP0598 92mm Contact 16 CPU Cooler

I know the thermal take has been highly rated in the past

Thermaltakeusa»Cooler»CPU Cooler»Intel Socket LGA 1155 / 1156»Contac 16 : Contac 16 CLP0598

SilenX Corporation - Effizio CPU Coolers

this one is rated fro 130watts,

Hyper TX3 - Cooler Master

This one has a .15 C/W rating and I was going to use one of these for a BPA200 using two LM4870's

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler bracket included LGA 2011 i7 i5 775 1155 AMD and dual fan push pull compatible

This means the heatsink temp will be 15 degrees celsius higher than the ambient air flowing through it at 100 watts.
So for 200 watts I am sure that it can handle 30 degrees over ambient.
That would still be way below what most semiconductors maximum ratings are (100 to 150 degrees celsius).

:cheers:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.