My first diy - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2012, 08:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My first diy

Hey guys,

i know this is a site for fanatics judging from the the top logo, but i hope some of you can find it in your heart to answer some questions from a noob in the audio world.

I want to build a portable speaker as cheap as possible just to learn the basics and mess with the electronics i have come up with this setup.

3W 40mm Speaker Driver Unit - Black (4 ohm) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX x2
VMA2012 Class-D Audio Amplifier Evaluation Module (EVM) Board - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX
Replacement Rechargeable 3.7V 550mAh Lithium Battery for DS0201 Mini Oscilloscope - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

with a jack plug coming out of the amplifier.

My first question: is this going to work? The datasheet of the amplifier says: Power Supply 2.7-5.5V so i know im underpowering it with the battery but, i have noticed alot of people complaining about audio with more then 1.5w per channel.

Second question: how long will such a battery play music for? Is there anyway to know this without testing.

Im sorry if these are the dumbest most annoying questions you will ever read but i have been researching and cant seem to find any solid info.

Thanks in advance, Tim.
Old 10th August 2012, 02:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes it will work, but you will not be happy. As there is no mention of the power consumption of the amp it is impossible to tell. The amp produces 2x3 Watt at what battery voltage? Say: 2x2 Watt at 75% efficiency at 3.7V is more than 1 amp current draw. The battery will not last long. You will also need a battery charger. Lastly, 40mm speakers will not give you any bass (unless Bose designed them and than all bets are off). E
Old 12th August 2012, 09:49 PM   #3
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frauzema View Post
Hey guys,

i know this is a site for fanatics judging from the the top logo, but i hope some of you can find it in your heart to answer some questions from a noob in the audio world.

I want to build a portable speaker as cheap as possible just to learn the basics and mess with the electronics i have come up with this setup.

3W 40mm Speaker Driver Unit - Black (4 ohm) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX x2
VMA2012 Class-D Audio Amplifier Evaluation Module (EVM) Board - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX
Replacement Rechargeable 3.7V 550mAh Lithium Battery for DS0201 Mini Oscilloscope - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

with a jack plug coming out of the amplifier.

My first question: is this going to work? The datasheet of the amplifier says: Power Supply 2.7-5.5V so i know im underpowering it with the battery but, i have noticed alot of people complaining about audio with more then 1.5w per channel.

Second question: how long will such a battery play music for? Is there anyway to know this without testing.

Im sorry if these are the dumbest most annoying questions you will ever read but i have been researching and cant seem to find any solid info.

Thanks in advance, Tim.
I think it will work but you will have short battery life and poor sound quality. Not worth the effort I'd say. You should invest in a better driver. Spend only $12 and get something 100x better. Then work backwards from the speaker to the amp and battery (and charger)

Why not tell us what you'd like. Give specs and a budget

Last edited by ChrisA; 12th August 2012 at 09:57 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!