Kerfing chipboard - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2012, 09:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Kerfing chipboard

I know how to kerf ( even if I haven't actually done it yet) but I have never seen chipboard kerfed before, only thicker MDF. Is it possible to do with success or is this technique limited to MDF and good quality plywood.
I would like to finish the front of SWMBOs new bedroom speakers with a curved surface on the corners.
Top and bottom I'll make a template and use the router as suggested in the design thread.
Old 9th August 2012, 04:11 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
I know how to kerf ( even if I haven't actually done it yet) but I have never seen chipboard kerfed before, only thicker MDF. Is it possible to do with success or is this technique limited to MDF and good quality plywood.
I would like to finish the front of SWMBOs new bedroom speakers with a curved surface on the corners.
Top and bottom I'll make a template and use the router as suggested in the design thread.

the commercial kerfed sheet goods using PB as core will generally have the smooth face laminated with a thick paper, single ply of veneer( TimberCore), or even a HP P-lam ( Formica, Arborite, choose your favorite brand - but any will cost more than the core)

without such a sturdy face kerfed PB will likely disintegrate easily (possibly even before it's off the table saw), and even with it, the material needs reinforcement for structural integrity

http://www.kerfkore.com/NEW%20BROCHURES/kerfkore.pdf
Old 9th August 2012, 09:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That would explain why I have never seen it before then.
OK
Rather than use MDF here I will redesign for a flat front until I can get a workshop and experiment.
Thanx
Old 9th August 2012, 09:48 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
That would explain why I have never seen it before then.
OK
Rather than use MDF here I will redesign for a flat front until I can get a workshop and experiment.
Thanx

there's always "Rubber Ply / wackywood " or any number of generic / trade names for making curves - but no matter what material / fabrication technique employed, CCM - curves cost money, and some type of support frame is required, even if temporary when cold pressing or vacuum bagging .

Hide this!Advertise here!