Speaker Cabinet & Baffle Mounting Questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Construction Tips

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2012, 07:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker Cabinet & Baffle Mounting Questions

Hi, I'm new to the forum and a newbie amp builder currently undertaking my first build. Currently focusing on the woodworking side of things and building a solid cabinet to house my 1 12" speaker for my amp head.

When mounting a speaker to a cabinet baffle, is it important to offset the location of the speaker from being exactly dead centre in order to prevent sound wave cancellations from occurring within the cabinet interior?

I only ask because i've seen a lot of baffles constructed with the speaker mounted very off centre and I was wondering if there was a reason for this.

Thanks!
Joel
Old 7th August 2012, 08:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

No , it's made to 'spread' the diffraction effects over a wide band .
Diffraction is the sound reflected by the baffle itself , which sums to the sound from the speaker , so some cancellations or gain at some frequencies may be heard . If the speaker 'sees' equal lengths around ,the reflected waves
would then be directly proportional to the frequency and the length that the baffle 'offers' to the straight path
Indeed , in multi way enclosures the effect of the baffle is highly regarded , and treated as such . Since the ear is more sensitive to mid and treble , the problem has been 'circumvented' by using narrow baffles or by putting some felt around the drivers to prevent it.
But I guess you are talking about instruments box !?!
Old 7th August 2012, 08:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, I suppose I should have been a little clearer. This is indeed for a guitar. I'm taking a combo amp/cabinet and turning it into a separate amp head and cabinet unit. The baffle will be for a 1X12 speaker cabinet.

Thanks for the info!

Hide this!Advertise here!