Cabinet material

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan on building a cabinet for my computers subwoofer, but I am not shure what material to use, I was thinking about going with solid soft maple, but I am not too shure how it would sound. I use alot of maple in violin making, but a musical instrument is not the same as a subwoofer. I am not shure how the it would resonate if I made it all out of solid maple, or would maple plywood sound alright? I am trying to avoid MDF and particle board as much as possible.

Joseph's SQ Build Log

The above link is basically what I am going to be building, but much smaller to house a 5 inche speaker. Is this a good design for interior use?

Thanks!

I changed my design to more of a rectangle with a flat front and back. Measures 8 inches wide, by 16.5 inches long, and 10 inches tall. It is ported in the back through a 3 inch gap between the back plate and the top plate, there is also a long brace that is approx. the same height as the back plate, it's also 8 inches wide. I used a total of 10 2x3 inch pieces of solid pine as reinforcement blocks. I made this enclosure out of a single piece of 3/4"x2'x4' birch ply. There is a slight buzzing, possibly from the driver, or possible from a spot where the glue has not set completely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.